This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BattementCloche, they have the extended on VHS, as well, it just doesn't come iwth the documentaries at the end. The extended DVD has two extra disks of documentaries with it, which is not included with the extended VHS, but the extended VHS has all the extra scenes and added on stuff just like the DVD version does. They have the VHS version at Blockbuster. I never had the chance to rent it from Blockbuster because they were always out but it DOES exist on VHS.

Guest dance4life87

OMG I LOVE the extended dvd version, it's reawlly worth getting! it has 5 and a half hours of appendices too! It;s great, anyone who doesn't have it I definitely recommend it to!

In a way, I wish that the first Harry Potter film had been made one year earlier, so that they could have featured Daniel Radcliffe and Rupert Grint at the Party as the younger Merry and Pippin. After all, same studio! That would have shown the passage of seventeen years very neatly.

What I meant was that it was too bad that "Harry" and "Ron" weren't aleady established as an acting team by the time of FotR so that the they could be used as a casting joke, but the idea that 17 years had passed was only quickly glossed over. After all, Hobbits age only a little more slowly than human beings, and indeed, they may be a sort of Mannish creature. Remember, Pippin is the baby of the group, being only twenty-nine during the Great Year. If he and Merry were at the Party, they should have been portrayed by young actors, maybe not quite twelve, to show the passage of time more clearly - then when Frodo's Quest begins, they become Dominic Monaghan and Billy Boyd.

BlackbirdBallerina, I have no idea what "Itarilde" means. "tar" and "tari" usually refers to royalty, though I can't honestly remember it's exact meaning or if it's from Quenya or Sindarin. She just got her name from www.barrowdowns.com, if I remember correctly. barrowdowns.com is a really awesome site, but it's name generator just gives you a random name because they really can't sit and translate actual meanings of names all day long.

So basically, no. lol

ita means sparkle, and ril means brilliance. Here is an exerpt from the Appendix of the Silmarillion:

ril: 'brilliance' in Idril,...Idril's name in Quenya form was Itarillë (or Itarildë), from a stem ita- meaning 'sparkle'.

Exerpt from the Index of The Silmarillion:

Idril: Called Celebrindal 'Silverfoot'; the daughter (and only child) of Turgon and Elenwë; wife of Tuor, mother of Eärendil, with whom she escaped from Gondolin to the Mouths of Sirion; departed thence with Tuor into the West.

I figured out some of this thread's 'frequent vistor's' user names:

Major Mel (Mel Johnson): Amras of Dorthonion or Berilac Brandybuck of Buckland

BilboBaggins: Maglor Calafalas or Bilbo Baggins :)

SpiritIvy: Eldárwen or Iris

balletstar811: Siralindë (balletstareighthundredeleven)/Failariël (balletstar) or Mira/Rosie

dance4life87: Alatariel (danceforlifeeightyseven)/Lessien (danceforlife) or Camellia/Iris

BlackbirdBallerina: Eámanë or Bramblerose (me too:D)

Of course, for your full names you'll have to go to the site yourself.

If anyone wants to know what their Elvish names mean, just tell me what they are and I'll figure them out. I love to!!! It's my hobby!!!:D

Namárië!

——————————

—Séreméla Lúthien Sáralondë Melwasúl—

***I pass the test. I will diminish, and go into the West, and remain Galadriel.” ***

—Lady Galadriel—

***Now is the time. ***

—Lord Celeborn—

***Good night my friends! Sleep in peace! ***

—Lady Galadriel—

***Can you protect me from yourself?***

—Frodo—

P.S. Spirit Ivy, I'll look into that extended version on VHS!!! Can't wait!!!

Actually, all that being said, I found that a good way to translate names into whatever Tolkienian languages is to take your own name, then translate it back into its root meaning - my name "Melvin" is a masculinized version of "Malvina", the female Celtic Chieftain of James MacPherson's eighteenth-century pastiche epic called "Ossian". He apparently made the name up out of Celtic mæl-hwinne - "soft snow lady". Translated that way, I came up with Lossehir "fallen snow lord" for myself.

HOWEVER. We've now got 134 posts on this thread, and it is safe to assume that there are a great number of Tolkienians about, and a goodly number of them populate this board. So, reluctantly, I think the time has come to draw the curtain on this topic - until Dec. 17, of course!;)

I take that as a compliment!

Thank you, thank you, thank you... I just can't believe it took me this long to find out the thread was opened again!!!

Now I should write a nice long post praising the one I shall call Elrond (after all, Maj. Mel, you have the answers to everything and (sort of) 'rule' the thread—shall we call it Middle-earth?). Or perhaps Gandalf would be better... "The Wizard of the Ballet Talk Thread on Tolkien and Ballet"

What colour of fireworks shall we see tonight?

~*~Galadriel~*~ :yucky:

P.S. The long post praising Elrond/Gandalf (you choose) will have to wait...I've been on here for an hour and a half, and I was supposed to be off after 45 min... :wink:

My Elves and I led a merrie dance about Lothlórien, singing the praises of Gandalf so loud that even the sound of the tinkling falls of Nimrodel were drowned out.

Praise Gandalf, most powerful of all good wizards! Sing thy praises unto Gandalf the White! :)

~*~Galadriel~*~

***So it begins.***

—Théoden—