This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

A new name for ballet dancers?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 balletmama

balletmama

• PipPip
  • 81 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:26 PM

I see on the San Jose Silicon Valley site the usual link to "Dancers" is missing. Instead one clicks on a link to -- I am not making this up -- "Cultural Athletes." http://www.balletsan...alathletes.html

I am hoping this is tongue in cheek. Otherwise, for me it conjures up Fascist and Soviet art...

;)

#2 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 27,854 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:32 PM

Thanks for the link! I suspect that the sports reference is another attempt to reach out to a "broader audience". Yes, ballet is not sport, although as one with a foot in both camps, I sometimes think balletomanes have more in common with sports fans than either side cares to admit. :D

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:57 PM

Well, it's better than "Buglesses". Bugless used to be a real hot name in the seventeenth century, and started out as "Bugloss" (a flowering herb) and a feminine name, but soon changed its spelling and became unisex. How PC of the seventeenth century!

#4 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 30 January 2003 - 08:37 PM

In an attempt to get ballroom dancing recognized as an olympic Sport, it is now referred to as "DanceSport"

MJ

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):