Serenade

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_balletshoe_*

Guest_balletshoe_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 28 January 2003 - 07:53 PM

Does anybody know of a video of Balanchine's ballet "Serenade". I cant find anything. I know that many companies have performed the ballet, but I dont know if there is a video out there. Thanks for your help.

#2 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 08:31 PM

balletshoe, I just did a "search" on the videos forum and am afraid that I didn't come up with much encouraging news. :) Perhaps you should post again down there: http://www.balletale...hlight=Serenade

I, too, would love to have a copy of this.

I wonder why it is that it is, apparently, not on any videotape or DVD?

I wonder if The Balachine Trust might have an answer?

#3 tigger

tigger

• PipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 08:37 PM

hi, i just did a library and google search and didn't come up with much.

the nycb site sells a video called "Dancing for Mr. B" that has excerpts from serenade (if you click on the picture, you can see it listed in tiny print):

http://www.nycballet...llet/balvid.asp

there was also an italian site (centro teatro ateneo) that listed a serenade by balanchine, 31 min, 1990, but not much information about that:

http://w3.uniroma1.i.....Video QRS.htm

hope that helps. :)

#4 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 28 January 2003 - 09:35 PM

Dance in America broadcast Serenade along with Western Symphony in 1990. It's a very good recording; Darci Kistler did the Waltz, Kyra Nichols the Tema Russo and Maria Calegari the "Dark Angel". I don't believe the recording has been released commercially. I'm going to move this thread to Ballet Videos to see if they have any other sources.

#5 Guest_balletshoe_*

Guest_balletshoe_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:33 AM

Thank you all for your effort. My daughter is learning Seranade at Ballet Academy East. They plan to perform in a studio workshop in the studios at city center March 5,6. I will give Darla Hoover a call to see if see knows of a recording I could my hands on, I also emailed cpyb, they perform it also.

#6 Vicarmac

Vicarmac

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 04:55 AM

I have seen the one Leigh is talking about. But it had been copied off of PBS. I don't know of it being released either.

#7 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 06:35 AM

balletshoe, I wondered if that might be the reason you were asking. :) My daughter attends BAE, too. I have to believe that Darla must have a copy of this. I'd love to see it, too.

#8 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 25,226 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 03:39 PM

The broadcast has not been released commercially. It's too bad, although I thought at the time that both Serenade (what a dream cast, though!) and Western Symphony were not ideal choices for television. However, I'll take what crumbs I can get. :D

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):