This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Prix de Lausanne 2003; live webcasts/telecasts Feb 1-2 '03

Natalia

The Prix de Lausanne is going on this week, with semifinals & finals this coming weekend (Feb 1 - 2). As in recent years past, these will be broadcast live on the television 'Mezzo' channel (Europe) and on the world-wide web, to your home computers. You'll need RealPlayer software to watch it, which you can obtain for free through a link in this Prix de Lausanne page:

http://www.prixDeLausanne.org/en/video/live.asp

A bit more preliminary information, gleaned from the official competition website --

Some 128 dancers, representing 25 countries, are taking part in the initial round. The largest delegation, by far, is from Japan, with some 33 dancers entered; Australia and Korea are 2nd & 3rd, respectively, in number of entries. There are nine contestants from Russia (all female) and five from the USA.

Some 60 'quarter-finalists' will be named tomorrow, out of the initial group. This is determined by their achievements in classical & contemporary classes that are going on today & tomorrow.

The field will be pared down to 25-28 'semifinalists' on Friday, after private performances of classical & contemporary variations before the panel of judges.

Only the final two rounds are open to the public (and are being broadcasted/webcasted). The semifinals on Feb. 1 will further whittle the field to 12-14 finalists, who will go on to dance for the top prizes on Sunday, Feb. 2.

According to the Mezzo website, it will be broadcasting the finals on Sunday, 2/2/03 at 15:45 (presumably French time zone). I will try to catch some of the broadcast, but the early evening is major baby time for me - so we'll see...

I have been able to see the final on Mezzo on Sunday. The Australian Alexander McRae won the first prize. He was really good, and all the finalists too, but I think he deserved it. When I saw him dance, I thought he would probably get the first prize. The second and third prize were also won by male competitors, the second was a chinese I think, but I can't remember anything in great detail (actually, I was hoping to find the results here, but I haven't found them), except that in my opinion, in the classical variations, the best dancers often danced last (the best James from La Sylphide was the second one, the best Aurora was also the last Aurora...). I very much liked the brazilian girl too, but I can't remember her name, something like Celiza.

I hope someone will be able to give a better account of it than this.

Su-lian.