This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

"Wilis" or "Willies"

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 ronny

ronny

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 160 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 03:58 AM

The group of ghosts seen in the second act of Giselle is pronounced "Willies" but is often spelled "Wilis".

I always thought it was "Wilis" but I recently put both spellings in a search engine WITH the word "Giselle" and I got a greater number of results with "Willies"!! So which spelling is correct? It almost seems like nobody knows for sure.

My guess is that the one version is based on the history of the word and the other is used so that the person reading the word can pronounce it correctly. That is my take on it so far. One version is "proper" and the other is "practical".

How do you see it?

#2 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,779 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:31 AM

this was an interesting page, did you see it?

http://www.wiliqueen.com/wili.html

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 04:38 AM

"Wilis" are what you get when you see Act II Giselle. "Willies" are what you get when you get called in to the IRS for an audit.

#4 kfw

kfw

Sapphire Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,344 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 06:46 AM

The Wilis give Albrecht and Hilarion the willies!

#5 MJ

MJ

• PipPipPip
  • 191 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 06:06 PM

I saw a t-shirt saying "Giselle gives me the willies!"

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):