This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Winter Season, Week Three and Four

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#31 rkoretzky

rkoretzky

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 03:52 PM

Who saw Kyra in Chaconne? Manhattnik, I am sure you did. Reviews please!

I had hoped to get to NY this week to see Kyra in Mozartiana and/or Chaconne. I don't think it is going to happen. Work responsibilities are calling.

Chaconne is repeated during spring season, but this is it for Mozartiana, and I'm not making any more trips to NY until March. ARRGGH.

#32 pville

pville

• PipPip
  • 25 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 03:57 PM

Well, I completely agree with what everyone else has been saying about Maria K and Sofiane's stunning performances in Kammermusik 2. I really like that when Sylve is on the stage Maria has to rely on more than have just her beautiful body line. This is one of the few performances that she did more than just choreography. It must be a relief for her to share the stage, not the role with Sylve ;).

Ballade, the corp parts seemed like much of a rehash of Wallpurgisnacht. But Whelan was beautiful. Tewsley was fine, but he needs to loosen up a bit in this new rep.

Piano Pieces ... what a great performance, unlike what I have been reading in the other posts the corps in Piano Pieces was great! Young, enthusiastic, and cleanly together. Wouldn't it be nice if every piece could get as much attention as this "major revival" has gotten? Somogyi just stole the show for me, with Ansanelli in a close second. I think this ballet captures what Somogyi is all about with the possible exception of Concerto Barocco. She danced with such perfect fluidity, clarity, grace and musicality. I hope I don't take away from her performance by saying how much she looked like a young Kyra Nichols. Seeing her dance with Jared Angle makes me realize how unfortunate it was that he was injured last year. Not only is he better for her in terms of partnering technique, they are so well matched in terms of expression. Hopefully this is a partnership that can flourish, although I would also like to see her dance with Tewsley too.

Jeu de Cartes. Well, I saw unfortunate performance last week when Hubbe was injured. I stayed to see what it would be like to have the King. Ummm.... unfortunately Martins did not add to much, I think the first version was better where Millipied was Jester and King.

#33 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,070 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 05:02 PM

Leigh, I will get on that request on Tuesday. And a big Amen, to Manhattnik on his rant.

Will post more later...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):