This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Orlando Ballet/Southern Ballet Theater

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 emhbunhead

emhbunhead

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 10:59 AM

Has anyone seen them perform?? Just curious about the caliber of the productions, dancers, etc...

#2 Veronica

Veronica

• PipPip
  • 12 posts

Posted 20 January 2003 - 11:09 AM

We haven't seen them perform, but my daughter loved the SIS last summer.

#3 Guest_lildancingchick722_*

Guest_lildancingchick722_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 10 February 2003 - 04:30 PM

Hey,
I go to Orlando Ballet School and they are wonderful! I love thw whole school and thw compnay has many great dancers:)

#4 luna

luna

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 11 February 2003 - 01:23 PM

I haven't seen them perform since Bujones took over, but I lived in Florida for many years, and my mom and I would go to every performance we could. I really enjoyed the Southern Ballet Theatre performances--they always had wonderful mixed programs with classical ballet and jazz. I used to take class with the juinor company division with Kip Watson and Barbara Riggins. Do any of you out there know if they are still involved with the company and/or teaching?

#5 Jumpin4B

Jumpin4B

• Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 February 2003 - 06:42 PM

Since Fernando Bujones has taken over Orlando Ballet, it is excellent!! A growing company with a lot of strength, vitality and total professionalism! The Orlando Ballet School is headed by a former NYC Ballet dancer Peter Stark, EXCELLENT! Not only is the training superior by the full staff, but the Summer Intensive Program is excellent! Their school dancers have been accepted and received scholarships to SAB, ABT NYC, PNB, MIAMI CITY, CPYB, SFB, for Summer Intensive Programs as well. Now that they have their name on the map as Orlando Ballet, (originally Southern Ballet Theatre) this will be a School and Company that you will begin to hear about more and more!

#6 Guest_Balletmom24/7_*

Guest_Balletmom24/7_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 04:58 AM

Yes, I have seen Orlando perform (2002-2003) Giselle, Nutcracker and Nutty Nutcracker and hope to see Spartacus in May. This company is top drawer ! In a few years they will be a major player.

#7 nlkflint

nlkflint

• PipPip
  • 89 posts

Posted 07 March 2003 - 07:53 AM

I will ditto all the praise. We have been to Giselle, and while the company is not HUGE and the number of Wilis may have been less than in a larger company with a massive stage, the scenery, the costumes and THE DANCING were wonderful. I am the mother of dancers, and not a dance critic. But I have been to many a performance, and this was a great piece.

They have a very international company. Their logo includes "Where the world comes to dance." They currently have no hierarchy--the company are all company members. There are no principals or soloists. There are certainly principal roles, and programs read of a dancer "having danced principals roles such as... or solos such as... "

My daughter went to summer intensive 2001 when it was Southern Ballet Theatre and summer 2002 when it had gone through the name change. I think the name change occured in part due to funding from the city of Orlando: in recognition of the support that Orlando Ballet receives from the city, and to help identify more with growing Orlando area.

We have nothing but praise also for the School. Peter Stark has a manner that is no nonsense, yet caring. He seems to be as good a teacher and administrator as he is a dancer. The staff--both administrative and teaching all seem professional, wise and also friendly and nurturing. Several of the company members both male and female are involved in the summer program doing choreography and rehearsals for the end of summer workshop performance and they really added to the program as well. We will now send my younger daughter this summer. My older daughter will go to Boston this summer. At the Orlando audition this year her previous teachers were full of smiles and hugs and first thing asked was "where are you going this year?" They knew she would get yes letters from the big programs. And while she wants to go away for a summer, she plans to return to Orlando in the future. I wishes we lived close enough for year round training and more opportunity to see the performances.

Mr Bujones is outgoing and so friendly to the students. He has the way of making the dancers all feel good about themselves. And he, too, is a marvelous teacher.

I think the secret is getting out. They soon will be competing in the bigger arena.

#8 Guest_lildancingchick722_*

Guest_lildancingchick722_*

Posted 07 March 2003 - 02:52 PM

I will be going to Orlando ballet over the summer, and am just wondering what it would be like? Could someone that has been at it befor tell me a little bit about it?:)

#9 ampballet

ampballet

• Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 January 2009 - 02:37 PM

Hi, luna,

Kip Watson and his wife, Eliza Harwood, started their own studio off Corrine Drive called Harwood/Watson studios. My daughter and I took from her for several years and she is a wonderful teacher! We used to enjoy the SBT performances as well; but happy to hear that the Orlando Ballet is so sucesful!

Annette in Texas

I haven't seen them perform since Bujones took over, but I lived in Florida for many years, and my mom and I would go to every performance we could. I really enjoyed the Southern Ballet Theatre performances--they always had wonderful mixed programs with classical ballet and jazz. I used to take class with the juinor company division with Kip Watson and Barbara Riggins. Do any of you out there know if they are still involved with the company and/or teaching?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):