This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

3rd International Ballet Festival at the Mariinsky

• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#16 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 04:21 AM

Opening night (Febr. 21) of the Festival is now finally announced: "La Bayadère" replacing "Ondine"
http://www.mariinsky...fisha/balfest03

Of course, Jeannie, I agree, one always has to see it first with one's own eyes before judging. Yet, in this case, my mouth only opened in disbelief that such a production ever made it to the Mariinsky stage. There used to be a Maly theatre for the more experimental works. But maybe it's because I still associate ballet with choreography, while there isn't any worth mentioning in this "Nutcracker".

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 07:18 AM

Oh, Marc, have you forgotten your Imperial Russian Ballet history? The Imperial ballet's productions -- particularly those of a fellow named Marius Petipa -- were celebrated for the promenades and displays of physical and sartorial beauty. Vigorous dancing was not necessarily the primary element of the evening. Remember:

* the parade of fairy tale characters in the 1898 'Sleeping Beauty'

* the parade of Egyptians in Act II of Lacotte's reconstruction of 'Fille du Pharaon'

* the parade at the start of Act II, sc ii of the 1900 'Bayaderka'

* the parade of national dancers at the start of Act IV of 'Little Humpbacked Horse'

I could go on and on and on.

Who cared whether or not Marie Petipa could do triple pirouette? Who cared about the number of entrechats that Pavel Gerdt could perform? They were models of physical elegance, reflecting the restrained manners of the Romanov Court, the patrons of it all.

Promenading & showing-off magnificent costumes and glamour *was* a huge part of the ballet....and I say 'bravo!' to the Gergiev/Vaziyev team for fostering the return of pure-magnificence to the glorious stage of the Imperial Mariinsky Theater! :)

Belikolepna! Izumitelna! Chudesna! Ochien prekrasna!

#18 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 22 January 2003 - 08:27 AM

I understand your enthusiasm for this production, Jeannie. However, no matter your argumentation, I still don’t see the vaguest resemblance. Besides, any good historian should know that revealing only part of the past, is a half done job ;). Unless I’m mistaken of course, Petipa’s ballets included besides the pageantry a good bit of classical dancing as well, and there were also the elements of harmony, balance, a sense of proportion, beauty, a moral significance, etc. none of which I could find in Shemiakin’s "Nutcracker".

#19 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 23 January 2003 - 12:33 PM

In the latest press release of the Mariinsky Theatre about the Festival the evening of February 28 is still listed as "to be announced". So the performance of the Nederlands Dans Theater still isn't a hundred percent sure.

#20 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 24 January 2003 - 02:05 PM

Thanks Marc. I'm still looking forward to attending all or most of this festival & filing my reports for all to read.

I find it a bit odd that there will be two Bayaderes. I bet that may change, in time, as the idea in these festivals is to vary the repertoire so that we see a different offering every night.

As for Nederlands Dance Theater on one night, my first thought was "Thank Goodness this is the night of the figure skating Grand Prix Finals across town!" [No offense to NDT, a top modern dance -- not ballet -- company.]

#21 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 26 January 2003 - 02:35 PM

"Manon" is now replacing Nederlands Dans Theater on February 28th.

#22 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 08:46 AM

That's what was originally scheduled on the 28th. I'm sure that there will be even more changes between now and them. The element of surprise...

I'm still betting that one of the two Bayaderes will be changed to a 'Sleeping Beauty' or heaven-knows-what.

#23 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 27 January 2003 - 09:14 AM

Absolutely, it's more than time that they get their act together. There are a lot of rumours circulating about the eventual casts - needless to say, nothing is definite yet. [Unofficially] Maria Kowroski is said to be dancing "Swan Lake" on March 1st.

#24 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 01 February 2003 - 04:19 AM

From POB, Agnès Letestu and Jean-Guillaume Bart will perform in the Maryinski Festival. If I remember it well, it's in Jewels Diamonds, they are dancing it also in POB as well as Agnès Letestu and José Martinez will dance Raymonda Grand pas in Cloture gala.

#25 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 03 February 2003 - 09:09 AM

The Mariinsky Theatre announced the names of the foreign guest stars, scheduled to appear during the Festival: Nikolai Tsiskaridze (Bolshoi), Vladimir Malakhov (ABT, Berlin), Alina Cojocaru and Johan Kobborg (Royal Ballet), Agnès Letestu, José Martinez, Manuel Legris, Jean-Guillaume Bart (POB), Maria Kowroski, Wendy Whelan, Damian Woetzel (NYCB).

The final Gala performance will be dedicated to Rudolf Nureyev.

http://www.mariinsky...ess/mariinsky03

#26 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 02:06 AM

Some more casts for the Festival have been revealed by the Mariinsky Theatre.

* "Jewels" on 25 Feb. will be danced by Paris Opera soloists (Emeralds), Whelan-Woetzel (Rubies), Pavlenko-Korsuntsev (Diamonds).
* "Manon" on 28 Feb. is danced by Zakharova-Malakhov
* "Swan Lake" on March 1 is danced by Kowroski-Korsuntsev
* the closing gala on March 2 consists of "Bella figura"(Nederlands Dans Theater); a divertissement; "Raymonda" Act III (Letestu-Martinez)

http://www.mariinsky...fisha/balfest03

#27 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,400 posts

Posted 04 February 2003 - 07:57 AM

Thanks, Marc. Malakhov's Des Grieux on Feb 28th? Kowroski in 'Swan Lake' on the 1st? That sounds the death-knell on my earlier plans to attend the Grand-prix of Figure Skating (the evenings of Feb 28 & March 1). Sorry, Sasha Cohen -- I can see you in DC at the end of March. The Mariinsky will be the place for me throughout the festival period. :D

#28 Marc Haegeman

Marc Haegeman

Platinum Circle

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,027 posts

Posted 07 February 2003 - 10:07 PM

The casting carousel doesn't seem to stop. Here are the latest updates re the cast for the Festival: http://www.mariinsky...ybill/balfest03

#29 Katja

Katja

• PipPip
  • 19 posts

Posted 09 February 2003 - 03:06 PM

This "Schedule - Casting" spectacle by the Mariinsky administration is really frustrating. It just been announced in Vienna that Malakhov is getting a government award there on 26th. I really doubt that he can be in St.Petersburg on 28th to dance "Manon". I bet my last 100 rubles that he will not come.
The Festival is becoming a , as we say in Russia, a "soap bubble".

#30 Guest_rmcconne_*

Guest_rmcconne_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 09 February 2003 - 05:59 PM

If you're interested in going to the festival, you might want to look at St. Petersburg Travel's package at www.trips2russia.com/grouptol5.html - they at least make all the arrangements for you. I've never used them before, but they look good. If you do go with them, please tell me about it - I'm going to try for next year!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):