This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

3rd International Ballet Festival at the Mariinsky

Some more casts for the Festival have been revealed by the Mariinsky Theatre.

* "Jewels" on 25 Feb. will be danced by Paris Opera soloists (Emeralds), Whelan-Woetzel (Rubies), Pavlenko-Korsuntsev (Diamonds).

* "Manon" on 28 Feb. is danced by Zakharova-Malakhov

* "Swan Lake" on March 1 is danced by Kowroski-Korsuntsev

* the closing gala on March 2 consists of "Bella figura"(Nederlands Dans Theater); a divertissement; "Raymonda" Act III (Letestu-Martinez)

http://www.mariinsky.ru/ru/afisha/balfest03

Thanks, Marc. Malakhov's Des Grieux on Feb 28th? Kowroski in 'Swan Lake' on the 1st? That sounds the death-knell on my earlier plans to attend the Grand-prix of Figure Skating (the evenings of Feb 28 & March 1). Sorry, Sasha Cohen -- I can see you in DC at the end of March. The Mariinsky will be the place for me throughout the festival period. :D

This "Schedule - Casting" spectacle by the Mariinsky administration is really frustrating. It just been announced in Vienna that Malakhov is getting a government award there on 26th. I really doubt that he can be in St.Petersburg on 28th to dance "Manon". I bet my last 100 rubles that he will not come.

The Festival is becoming a , as we say in Russia, a "soap bubble".

Guest rmcconne

If you're interested in going to the festival, you might want to look at St. Petersburg Travel's package at www.trips2russia.com/grouptol5.html - they at least make all the arrangements for you. I've never used them before, but they look good. If you do go with them, please tell me about it - I'm going to try for next year!

Don't despair, Katja -- I can think of quite a few examples of dancers who get off a plane at noon and are on stage at 8 that night.

Welcome, rmcconne. I think there are quite a few companies that run group tours to Russia. We get them coming to the site every once in awhile to promote them :) I hope you get to go, one way or the other.

Programming details are coming in from the Mariinsky press office, slowly but surely. I received this today, regarding the "Evening of Historic Ballets" on February 26. This one promises to be one of the more fascinating nights in this festival. Makhalina dancing Elssler's 'Cachucha' and a rarely-seen masterpiece of character dancing -- Lev Ivanov's 'Hungarian Rhapsody' from Act IV of "Little Humpbacked Horse" staged by Irina Gensler. Yum-yum!! :o

Wed, 26 Feb 2003, 19:00

Themes and variations of classical ballet

Variations on a Romantic Theme

Variations on a Folklore Theme

Variations on a Spanish Theme: Agnes Letestu,

Jean-Guillaume Bart (Opera de Paris)

Conductor: Boris Gruzin

DETAILS:

I. VARIATIONS ON A ROMANTIC THEME

PAS DE QUATRE

Music by Cesare Pugni

Choreography by Anton Doline (1936) after Jules Perrot (1845)

TBA

PAS DE DEUX from LA PAPILLON

Music by Jacques Offenbach

Choreography by Pierre Lacotte (1976) after Marie Taglioni (1860)

Zhanna Ayupova, Igor Kolb (Mariinsky Ballet)

FANNY ELSSLER'S CACHUCHA from DIABLE BOITEUX

Traditional Andalucian music

Choreography by Pierre Lacotte (1979) after Jean Coralli (1836)

Yulia Makhalina (Mariinsky Ballet)

PAS DE DEUX from FLOWER FESTIVAL IN GENZANO

Music by E. Helsted and H.S.Paulli

Choreography by August Bournonville (1858)

TBA

PAS DE SIX from LA VIVANDIERE

Music by Cesare Pugni

Choreography by Pierre Lacotte (1979) after Saint-Leon (1843)

Irina Golub, Anton Korsakov and artists of the Mariinsky Ballet

II. VARIATIONS ON A SLAVIC THEME

THE BALLAD OF THE EAR OF WHEAT and VARIATIONS ON A SLAVIC THEME from COPPELIA

Music by Leo Delibes

Choreography by Marius Petipa (1884) after Saint-Leon

Reconstruction by Sergey Vikharev

Yekaterina Osmolkina, Andrey Merkuriev and artists of the Mariinsky Ballet

HUNGARIAN RHAPSODY from THE LITTLE HUNCHBACKED HORSE

Music by Ferenc Liszt

Choreography by Lev Ivanov (1900)

Renewal: Irina Gensler

Polina Rassadina, Lira Khuslamova, Islom Baimuradov, Artem Yachmennikov

and artists of the Mariinsky Ballet

III. VARIATIONS ON A SPANISH THEME

GRAND PAS from PAQUITA

Music by Ludwig Minkus

Choreography by Marius Petipa (1881)

Adwiser of the Renewal: Pyotr Gusev and Lidia Tyuntina

Agnes Letestu, Jean-Guillaume Bart (Opera de Paris),

Natalia Sologub, Daria Pavlenko, Elena Sheshina, Irina Golub, Sofia Gumerova,

artists of the Mariinsky Ballet and Student of the Academy of The Russian Ballet (Vaganova

Academy)

Thanks, Jeannie. There are indeed some delightful works on that evening. It's a shame that they actually became such rarities.

Also interesting to note that the fragment from "Coppelia" they are doing is taken from Vikharev's reconstruction.

Sologub and Fadeyev are now cast for the "Nutcracker" on Febr. 27th.

Hi Marc, et al.:

I've just learned I may be able to come to St. Petersburg for the International Festival, but most likely for 1-2 evenings. I know the performance list seems to be changing daily, but if you had to choose 1-2 sequential performances, what would you recommend?

Also, I have the schedule of performances for the White Nights Festival, published by the Royal Opera, as part of the "International Tours" program ... is that also undergoing massive change?

Thanks,

BB

Hi BB,

Well, I guess it all depends of what kind of treat you are looking for, but why not go for the rarities and the only premiere of the week: the evening of "the historic ballets" and the Pirlipat/Nutcracker (Feb. 26 and 27).

But that’s really just personal.

“Massive” changes won’t probably happen, only here and there ;)

I have to chuckle about the casting of Friday's Solor, Marc. Didn't Stiefel replace Manuel Legris? And didn't Legris replace the originally-announced Igor Kolb, when the festival casting first came out? At this stage, I'll know who dances Solor when the curtain goes up day-after-tomorrow. ;) I mean - it could end up being Jock Soto as Solor?

Thanks for the information, Mark :) !

What is sure, Legris should dance Rubies today and tomorrow but will be replace by Jeremie Belingard tonight beside of Eleonora Abbagnato and tomorrow it's Nolwenn Daniel and Emmanuel Thibault who replace the both.

It seems that Hervé Moreau is also injuried and will be replaced by an other premier danseur who is one of my favourite one and is Yann Bridard. He is not a noble dancer, more a character dancer, but he is really elegant in second pdd of "sleepwalker".

I have the luck to see the French dancers you will see in some day. I don't love Laetitia Pujol in this part,, she's too "maniérée", too smiling, she's too much :) , Karl Paquette is not really good in this part of the first man, too heavy, against Eleonora Abbagnato is really wonderful in Sicilian variation and in pdd, she is like a queen !

Well, I know for sure that Agnes Letestu & Jose Martinez are here, as they are staying very, very close to where I have my flat...but, bien sur, I will keep the address to myself. :)

What? Is Thibault coming? Could I be so lucky??? Some of you may remember how I admired him in Paquita pas de trois, Robbins 'Four Seasons'etc . :)

Legris is definitely scheduled for the final gala, in the works cited by Marc but someone in the press office told me that he is injured.

The biggest news of the day is that, apparently, Nederlands Dans Theater may not come at all - not even to the gala for 'Bella Figura', as their costumes/set have not received the proper paperwork from Russian customs!!! So there may be even more 'divertissements'for the final gala?