boys and ballet

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Pas

Pas

• Pip
  • 6 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 09:46 AM

That's an interesting point. Sometimes I see professional dancers at the grocery store, in casual clothes buying frozen dinners. Nobody else in the store seems to have any idea who they are. I would like to greet them and tell them how much I appreciate their work, but I have lost my nerve. I don't want to bother them, and I don't know how dancers perceive non-dancers who are fans of theirs. In addition, I am sort of a shy person. Do you have any thoughts on what I should do?

Thanks,

Pas

#17 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 10:05 AM

Pas - there aren't many dancers who mind if you come up to them and say "I saw you in such and such and I really enjoyed your performance." Most actually like it. The problem comes up when you try and have a lengthy conversation. Some might want to, but others may be too busy at that moment, or want their privacy. If you're shy yourself, probably the best thing to do is to offer your compliments with a smile and then continue with what you were doing and let the dancer do the same.

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 25 January 2003 - 11:47 AM

However, to return to the original thrust of this thread (at least I think it was the original): Acceptance is far preferable to hostility. Adulation can come later.

#19 Garyecht

Garyecht

• PipPip
  • 16 posts

Posted 29 January 2003 - 09:07 AM

I donít think it is all that productive to compare ballet with other physical activities. My sense is we do that when we feel defensive, and I just donít think we need to be defensive about anything. All physical pursuits have their demands and they are different. It is impossible to compare them. All you can say is that no matter what the activity, to perform at a very high level takes incredible talent, desire, and work.

Actually, I donít think suffering is necessarily a bad thing. I think most people who aspire to a high performance level have to endure a certain amount of suffering. How they suffer varies with the activity, but suffer they all do in some way. But just as taking steel and heating it until it glows, then plunging it in cold water, strengthens the steel, so too do I think a little suffering makes a stronger performer.

A young male dancer may be teased about being a dancer. That may discourage a weaker willed dancer. But to really excel at dance, one has to be strong willed. Think of all of the effort it requires to learn good technique. Think of disappointment in not getting roles desired, audition parts, careers as desired. Those who are successful, you can bet are very strong willed, at least when it comes to dance. Personally, I think many of the battles a dancer fights and endures helps create that will.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):