Is everyone okay??

• Please log in to reply
73 replies to this topic

#46 Olivier

Olivier

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 12 September 2001 - 08:25 PM

ABT is bussing to San Diego (about 30 hours).
The dancers waived their overtime !

#47 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 04:58 AM

The flags are down on many French official monuments, including the palais de l'Elysee (residence of the president) and the Hotel Matignon (residence of the Prime Minister). Also tomorrow will be an official day of mourning in all the countries of the European Union, with some minutes of silence dedicated to the memory of all the victims of those evil acts.

#48 pdance

pdance

• PipPip
  • 22 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 09:58 AM

I just wanted to mention how thankful I am that people are consoling us from all over the world. Even though I wasn't near what happened and didn't have any people invloved, it still hurt, because it was not only an attack on NYC and Washington, but all of America. I think it is so awesome whenever I hear people from other countries giving their support. A big thank you to all of you out there! :)

#49 sissonne

sissonne

• PipPip
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 12:33 PM

Hi all,

So glad to hear everyone in NY and DC are OK. I can truly say this is something I never thought I'd see in my lifetime.

The support and tributes shown by other countries has been truly touching, even comforting. I was particularly touched to learn this morning that for the first time in history, in lieu of the standard changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, they are instead playing the American National Anthem.

God bless you all and keep you safe. God bless America (and her friends).

United we stand.

#50 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 12:47 PM

Originally posted by sissonne:
I was particularly touched to learn this morning that for the first time in history, in lieu of the standard changing of the guards at Buckingham Palace, they are instead playing the American National Anthem.  

I didn't think I had an untouched emotion left in me but that tribute is unbelievable. I add my thanks to all our international friends for their concern; we are truly blessed in this most difficult of times.

Giannina

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Giannina Mooney ]

#51 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 04:08 PM

For all New Yorkers, there will be a vigil on Friday night in the plaza at Lincoln Center. Also a free concert on Sunday (4 PM) by the Emerson String Quartet to honor the dead and the living. I'm guessing that the Lincoln Center website will have more details.

#52 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 04:51 PM

Olivier..
quick question about ABT....I thought I'd read somewhere that the ABT dancers flew out on Monday. In anycase, doesn't it take more than 30hrs to drive from NY to CA (It's about 24hrs to southern Florida from NJ.
Does anyone know if they will dance...there was an article about art in CA, but no mention of ABT in San Diego.
Kate

#53 Olivier

Olivier

• PipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 06:02 PM

ABT was in Kansas City, and have about 30 hours by bus to San Diego.
Sorry for not mentionning Kansas City in my earlier post !

#54 Guest_Anders_*

Guest_Anders_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 13 September 2001 - 06:38 PM

I would like to express my deepest sorrow and heartfelt sympathy for all those who are immediately affected by Tuesday's tragic events. I find it hard enough to deal with these acts without having any immediate connection with them. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for the victims and their close ones. I extend my warmest condolences to you and to your proud nation.

#55 sneds

sneds

Bronze Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 260 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 06:49 PM

Thanks Olivier for the answer. Not to belabor the point, but why were they in Kansas City (there are no tour dates listed for KC).

Anyway, I hope that all the dancers' family and friends are safe, and that if any of the dancers do live in the WTC area, that they will have homes to return to. I can't imagine how helpless the dancers, especially the NYCB dancers in Parama, must feel so far away from NYC.
If anyone has more news about NYCB in Parma, please post. It sounds like the dancers will be spending more time in Italy than they planned. (My boss was supposed to fly to Germany on Lufthansa tomorrow, and so I was checking out the webpage. Most of the flights from Germany that were diverted to Canada actually flew BACK to Germany today. Doesn't bode well for getting back from Europe.
Kate

P.S. I have seen very neagtive remarks about the fact that the SFBallet is still going to have the gala in honor of one of its ballerinas (blanking out on her name). I fail to see why this is horrible....we have to move on at some point and the arts are a great way of coping and healing. Anyone care to comment?

#56 Ed Waffle

Ed Waffle

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 07:16 PM

There was an article in today's (Thursday) Wall Strett Journal which listed people who had planned to be in harm's way on Tuesday but for different reasons were not there. The lead was a software sales rep whose company suffered a direct hit from one of the terrorist planes. She had been laid off the day before.

Kyra Nichols' husband was scheduled to be on one of the flights that was hijacked and crashed but had injured his ankle jumping rope over the weekend and couldn't make the flight.

#57 Nora

Nora

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 07:40 PM

My brother is a Naval Officer who works in an annex to the Pentagon in Crystal City, Virginia. On Tuesday morning, he went to the Navy section of the Pentagon for a meeting with an admiral who did not show up. He returned to his office in Crystal City, and 45 minutes later the offices that he left were destroyed. As you can imagine, I have been alternating between tears of gratitude and complete numbness. I want to thank God, but I'm aware that there are so many others who have suffered and continue to suffer horrible anguish over this random and unconscionable violence. There is no difference between those of us who were sacrificed and those of us who escaped. I hope to God that we can build a saner, more civilized world where we have the arts on every channel rather than this unspeakable tragedy.

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Nora ]

#58 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 13 September 2001 - 07:45 PM

On Wednesday, we dedicated our first studio run through of Le Sacre du Printemps - Act I, to the brave victims and brave survivors in NYC and DC.

#59 beckster

beckster

• PipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 14 September 2001 - 03:36 AM

We in the UK have just completed three minutes silence in tribute to those dead or injured as a result of the events on Tuesday. The silence extended to non-public places as well as public - my sister went down to the War Memorial in Cardiff for the silence, whereas myself and the others in my office just stopped working and sat quietly when our computers told us it was 11.00. I would like to add my sympathies to the other messages on this board and to say that I really hope that this tragedy will not lead to retaliation and violence, but will help the world powers join together against terrorism and move forward in peace.

#60 Guest_Azza_4eva_*

Guest_Azza_4eva_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 14 September 2001 - 04:32 AM

I'd like to add my mostheartfelt support and my sincere sorrow to all those who this tragedy has affected. Even down here in Australia, on the other side of the globe, we are shocked and saddened by the events that have taken place.

Flags at my school have been flown at halfmasts, and we observed a silence in respect for the dead.

Even I, so far removed from the tragedy have spent the past three days with the feeling of a closed hand clutching my stomach...

Once again, my prayerful support is with all those affected.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):