This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is everyone okay??

For all New Yorkers, there will be a vigil on Friday night in the plaza at Lincoln Center. Also a free concert on Sunday (4 PM) by the Emerson String Quartet to honor the dead and the living. I'm guessing that the Lincoln Center website will have more details.

Olivier..

quick question about ABT....I thought I'd read somewhere that the ABT dancers flew out on Monday. In anycase, doesn't it take more than 30hrs to drive from NY to CA (It's about 24hrs to southern Florida from NJ.

Does anyone know if they will dance...there was an article about art in CA, but no mention of ABT in San Diego.

Kate

I would like to express my deepest sorrow and heartfelt sympathy for all those who are immediately affected by Tuesday's tragic events. I find it hard enough to deal with these acts without having any immediate connection with them. I can't even begin to imagine what it must be like for the victims and their close ones. I extend my warmest condolences to you and to your proud nation.

Thanks Olivier for the answer. Not to belabor the point, but why were they in Kansas City (there are no tour dates listed for KC).

Anyway, I hope that all the dancers' family and friends are safe, and that if any of the dancers do live in the WTC area, that they will have homes to return to. I can't imagine how helpless the dancers, especially the NYCB dancers in Parama, must feel so far away from NYC.

If anyone has more news about NYCB in Parma, please post. It sounds like the dancers will be spending more time in Italy than they planned. (My boss was supposed to fly to Germany on Lufthansa tomorrow, and so I was checking out the webpage. Most of the flights from Germany that were diverted to Canada actually flew BACK to Germany today. Doesn't bode well for getting back from Europe.

Kate

P.S. I have seen very neagtive remarks about the fact that the SFBallet is still going to have the gala in honor of one of its ballerinas (blanking out on her name). I fail to see why this is horrible....we have to move on at some point and the arts are a great way of coping and healing. Anyone care to comment?

There was an article in today's (Thursday) Wall Strett Journal which listed people who had planned to be in harm's way on Tuesday but for different reasons were not there. The lead was a software sales rep whose company suffered a direct hit from one of the terrorist planes. She had been laid off the day before.

Kyra Nichols' husband was scheduled to be on one of the flights that was hijacked and crashed but had injured his ankle jumping rope over the weekend and couldn't make the flight.

My brother is a Naval Officer who works in an annex to the Pentagon in Crystal City, Virginia. On Tuesday morning, he went to the Navy section of the Pentagon for a meeting with an admiral who did not show up. He returned to his office in Crystal City, and 45 minutes later the offices that he left were destroyed. As you can imagine, I have been alternating between tears of gratitude and complete numbness. I want to thank God, but I'm aware that there are so many others who have suffered and continue to suffer horrible anguish over this random and unconscionable violence. There is no difference between those of us who were sacrificed and those of us who escaped. I hope to God that we can build a saner, more civilized world where we have the arts on every channel rather than this unspeakable tragedy.

[ 09-13-2001: Message edited by: Nora ]

We in the UK have just completed three minutes silence in tribute to those dead or injured as a result of the events on Tuesday. The silence extended to non-public places as well as public - my sister went down to the War Memorial in Cardiff for the silence, whereas myself and the others in my office just stopped working and sat quietly when our computers told us it was 11.00. I would like to add my sympathies to the other messages on this board and to say that I really hope that this tragedy will not lead to retaliation and violence, but will help the world powers join together against terrorism and move forward in peace.

Guest Azza_4eva

I'd like to add my mostheartfelt support and my sincere sorrow to all those who this tragedy has affected. Even down here in Australia, on the other side of the globe, we are shocked and saddened by the events that have taken place.

Flags at my school have been flown at halfmasts, and we observed a silence in respect for the dead.

Even I, so far removed from the tragedy have spent the past three days with the feeling of a closed hand clutching my stomach...

Once again, my prayerful support is with all those affected.

PNB has postponed the gala performance for Patricia Barker which was to have been tonight at 7pm.

PNB's conductor, Stewart Kershaw, is trying to get to California to conduct ABT's GISELLE. ABT's conductor is still in New York.

Best wishes to everyone.

It seems ridiculous to even mention this in the face of the loss of life, but we're desperately scrambling to see if Pace will be open or accessible, and for venues in the alternative.

Wish us luck. If you have contacts to another NYC venue that might host a displaced company next weekend, please let us know. (If you need to speak to me NOW about that, phone me at 212 780-3413 - I'll check messages regularly.)

Thanks.

On Tuesday, I got up late and had just made my breakfast omelette and switched on the TV at 9:01 to see the fire in the first tower that was hit. I had just about digested that when I saw the second tower get hit. I then spent two unbelievable days glued to the TV and feeling that it was totally surreal.

The first day there was no transportation, and on the second only minimal transportation, so I couldn't get very far from my home in northern Manhattan. I rang two hospitals - ones I could walk to - volunteer, but these hospitals are so far uptown that they weren't getting any of the victims.

I discovered that neither my husband nor I can donate blood, because they won't accept blood from anyone who has lived for 6 months or longer in Britain between 1980 and 1996 (because of mad cow disease). Too bad: my husband is Type O-.

So I stayed at home and watched TV and finally couldn't take it any more and yesterday went to the Jersey Shore with some friends. It was a beautiful, golden day. On the way over the GW Bridge I had my first glimpse of the hole in the skyline - a hole filled with smoke. As you drive south in New Jersey you get a good view of the skyline, and yesterday it was a sad view. Once at the shore, we spoke to several locals who had come to enjoy the fine weather. Upon finding out that we were "escapees" from Manhattan, they offered condolences. It felt very strange. On the way back we again traversed the GW Bridge - this time in the dark. Usually that is one of the most magnificent views of Manhattan. The highway lights look like a necklace around the west side of Manhattan. Last night, the "toe" of Manhattan (I have always thought Manhattan vaguely resembles a foot on pointe) was dark, as there is no power down there at all. The Empire State Building, usually lit either pure white or in seasonal colors, was also dark.

Tonight, in my local park, we held a candlelight vigil. People spoke of their experiences and thoughts concerning what has happened, and we sang songs - very softly. Everyone brought a candle, and most people left them around the park flagpole or around the central green, now surrounded by a fence (because of new turfing). The fence looked as though it was wearing a crown of candles. There were two make-shift memorials to the WTC: a poster showing the buildings and some writings, poems, etc. in several languages. They plan to repeat the vigil every night for a while - to help each other get through this awful experience and to pray for peace.

[ 09-14-2001: Message edited by: felursus ]

Guest justDANCE

I would first like to (as everyone else) express my sorrow for the grieving nation, and all the people who have been personally affected by this terrible thing. Also, I want to really thank all the other countries who have given the US such support and respect. I think it's so nice that all over the world (well, most of the world) countries are having moments of silence, or playing our national anthem. I think it shows real unity, and makes me personally feel like the US isn't alone at all, and we have people supporting us!

*THANK YOU* and my sincere sorrow for the people who've lost.

(sorry, this had nothing to do with dance!)

Emily

ABT was in Kansas city because they had a performance there on Tuesday night, which they did. Then they had to bus to CA for the rest of their tour, which they all agreed to do. There was a statement by Kevin McKenzie about this, but not sure where it was published. It was in ABT's Enotes today. They performed in San Diego this past weekend, and open, I think tomorrow night, in Berkely.

Hi, l don't talk much but watch these boards regularly. I am shocked at what happened in your country. It has taken me a good week to come to terms with this and start to talk. We have felt it all the way to Australia, with our hearts on our sleeve so to speak.

We now wait, it seems, for America's reaction. (though of course it has begun). Have courage and l hope this comes to a quick resolution for everyone's sake.

I was profoundly saddened and affected by the

attack. The area around the twin towers is one of my favorite places in NYC. ONe of my

loves, other than ballet, are maritime issues, esp. ships....and history in general. That area has an abundance of both.

Now, sadly, that area will be better known as

a sight of carnage. Damn those murderers. That area is the beginning and continuing story of NYC. I MAY have lost a classmate from highschool, who was a fireman. That is the worst. I have been crying and at the same

time could not pull myself from the TV or radio.....my love of history. I want those

responsible to pay, but not the people of Afghan, who are mostly women and children, many of them -500,000-orphaned. The Russians

already has left the country in ruin. Just kill off the Telliban and Bin Laubin. I am afraid that will be extremely difficult, with many pitfalls.....like World War.

Glad to hear that you are all ok. My sympathies are with everyone who was affected by this despicable act. I pray that whatever steps are taken will cost as few lives, American or otherwise, as possible. We don't need any more bloodshed.

"An eye for an eye, and a tooth for a tooth-- soon we'll all be blind and toothless."

Good to see you again, Ballet Nut. I think everyone who posts here regularly has checked in now and is okay. We hadn't heard from Terry, but I emailed her to check, and she's fine -- she just moved to Paris! (I'm sure it's ok to post that as she said she'd be telling us about performances she sees there.)

As a general note, please, this thread was put up so that people could communicate during the first few days of a terrible event. It was not intended to be a place for political debate, of any stripe.

[ 09-24-2001: Message edited by: alexandra ]