This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Is everyone okay??

I just heard on my way into work this morning about the terrorist attacks in NYC and Washington ( I think) I know those of you that live in DC and NYC may not be logging on to this board today, but in case you do, I hope you are all alright. It was a bit of a shock to hear this morning, and I am very sad for anyone that was hurt or anyone who knows anyone that was hurt. I don't feel like dancing at all today :( .

As I said I hope you are all alright?

With love Jeanette

Thank you, Xena. I'm six blocks from the Capitol in D.C. and okay, although I've heard more sirens today than I knew existed.

I was about to open a "Please check in" thread; glad you beat me to it.

Please feel free to use this board to communicate. I would ask that we call a moratorium to any Silly Season topics today as a sign of respect to all of the people who have died.

I am fine, as are all the dancers, as far as

I can tell. Our rehearsals are very close to the WTC, we are trying to find out how things are there - they should be very sooty, but intact.

I haven't gone out yet. It's oddly sunny and lovely out my window. I heard the roar of jets about 10 am. So I thought. I've now believe it was the sound of the second tower collapsing.

Lower Manhattan is evacuated. For those of you who are local or otherwise affected, I am thinking of you.

It is worth noting for people in D.C. or N.Y., or who have friends or loved ones in either of those cities, that roads are clogged, phone circuits are jammed -- I've tried to call people in New York all morning and can't get a line. The Metro here is jammed. With so many offices closing early, the staggered leaving times that makes rush hour here barely tolerable is not working. Point being, it will take people several hours to get home.

Apparently according to the NYTimes, " At&T shut down its entire phone and communications system in Manhattan, and cell phone service is interrupted also" everyone is walking out via Brooklyn Bridge. Its going to be a very very long day for a lot of people

:(:(

I was working at my office building when it happened. I'm located in Jersey city, on the water with our windows litterly across the river from the World Trade Center. We all rushed to our windows and were still there when the second plane hit. It took our breath away. I can see the flames take over an entire floor on the North tower. Then the the 2nd tower dropped away. We all gasped and cried before we were evacuated. Smoke is (as you all can see on tv) everywhere. As I led some co-workers to my apartment, just a few blocks from the water with a clear view of the towers, we stopped on one corner where we saw the other tower collapse. I just can't believe it's gone. Everything is stopped around here and some of the wounded are being brought to Jersey City. It's surreal. I've always looked out at the towers whenever I've gone to work and now they're gone. We're going to give blood.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: Dale ]

everybody, if you are still having phone problems and can get one of those phone cards that are sold everywhere, i couldn't get through to my mother in chicago, who thinks that everything that happens in new york happens to me, with the manhattan number on the card so i tried a brooklyn one and it worked, as well as the one listed in brooklyn in spanish. so try those. it also worked to get overseas with. a roommate of mine saw his office go down in smoke on television when the towers collapsed because he had decided to go in later today. gods bless us all and keep us whole and remember those who have gone.

Sorry to mail again.....I am just so stunned, I totally cannot beleive what has happened, I have no words that can adequatley describe this feeling. I am so sorry for those of you that do live and work near where this happened. Its just you wake up one morning and your whole world has changed. I haven't heard anything from Major Mel, I hope he is okay?? The office today is so quiet,. We work in a goverment building, although it hasn't closed down. I just feel so terribly sad for those people on those planes and the plane that is still missing as well as for all those who just went to work on a normal Tuesday morning. I have no one to talk to here as everyone has gone.....

Xena, Mel doesn't live or work in NYCity, but upstate New York, far away from this. I've heard from Mary, who works in Manhattan, but way uptown at Columbia. Other New Yorkers, if you do log on, please just check in so that we know you're all right.

Dale, thanks for your eyewitness report. Others who have been involved, or were near to what happened and saw it, please feel free to share experiences.

There have been suggestions on TV news to try to stay off phones -- especially cell phones -- to leave them clear for people who need them.

Alexandra and all BalletAlerters

I know I am speaking for all of us on Ballet Co when I say how deeply shocked and grieved we all are here on this board and indeed in the UK at today's terrible events in New York and Washington.

There are no adequate words at times like this, but at least we are thinking of you.

I was in my office 30 blocks up from the WTC when it happened. There was smoke billowing down the streets, then a giant rumble. One of my good friends was two blocks away when it happened; he is okay, thank God, but he said it was just unbelievable, the debris, the crowds, the fear that at any second another building might blow up. You just can't believe the sight when you look down 5th Avenue: there's nothing there at the end of the island. On the street there are hundreds of people being led up from downtown covered in soot and debris, hugging each other, trying to call their loved ones. There are just no words.

Well, I am fine, or as fine as one can be after witnessing something so horrible. At a few minutes after nine, I went downtown with some coworkers on a lark, almost, to see for ourselves. I could not possibly have imagined what I'd end up seeing. After the first tower collapsed I decided I'd had enough, but there was no way I was going to take a subway home. As I was walking up Church Street, the second one went. It is really beyond describing.

I waited in line for an hour or so to give blood at St. Vincent's in the Village before being told to go elsewhere. I walked to my local hospital, but they're not taking blood. I've heard there's a place at 66th and Amsterdam, and I'll be off for there, soon.

There is a constant cacaphony of sirens, and occasional roars of airplanes even in midtown. I hear any sort of loud noise and wonder if it's a bomb. After I give blood I will surely need a drink.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: Manhattnik ]

Our thoughts are with all of you on the East coast...

I am so stunned...still can't believe it...shocked...!

PNB closed for the day for security reason (Seattle Center grounds with Space Needle)...

Glad to hear that most of you are fine...

How can something like this happen ?

My brother, who works about 30 blocks north of the World Trade Center, heard the explosions from his office and witnessed the pandemonium that followed. I'll be praying for eveyone here impacted by this horrific tragedy.

FYI, for anyone wanting to donate blood, the number for the New York Blood Center is 800/933-2566.

Melissa

Hello Everyone.What a horrific start to the day.I pray for the losses and hope everyone else remains safe.I spoke to a friend at ABT and I thank God they left yesterday.This whole thing seems so surreal.I mean ,you read about these things happening,but not here.You see it in the movies,but never expect to be affected directly or indirectly.I have a friend in Pittsburgh who I have been trying to reach all day,and I hope she is fine and that will get back to me soon.Well.Everyone out there try to be safe and look out for your fellow being.god Bless

We're okay in Chicago.

Most people went home early this morning for saftey reasons. My dance company did not work so people could use the day to sort out their feelings of fear and grief. I don't think there is one dancer who does not have a dancer friend in NYC or DC.

We plan to go on with work tomorrow, as usual and to be thankful that we can.

[ 09-11-2001: Message edited by: glebb ]

SAB was evacuated this morning. The kids who live in the dorm are staying with various teachers or staff members.

I would doubt that classes resume tomorrow, either there or at Joffrey, but I might be wrong. Although the streets may be closed, walking is not impossible.....eerie, but not impossible.

Washington area will be more operational tomorrow, I trust. It was fairly gruesome today for commuters. They even had areas of Annapolis cordoned off (it is the state capital, although no one believes it.) ;)

I asked someone how to turn on CNN (don't watch too much TV!) and spent the day doing handsewing and being thankful that I'd heard from those I love in NYC.

Regards to all--God bless your sleep...