This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Grant Writing

Thank you both so much for looking into this! This site has a lot of information, and the lead will be of great help.

Leigh, you mentioned Arts management - any insights on that education? I'm currently applying for MBA programs and would love to work in some Arts-specific, non-profit management coursework. Please do let me know if you have any thoughts!

Gigi, I know that New York University has a school of Arts Management. I don't know how it compares to other programs, but I do have acquaintances (including Michael Kaiser at the Kennedy Center) who have mentioned it positively. So that one is worth looking into. I believe the man who runs the program is named Brann Wry.

A little more on the original question - grant writing is a very specific skill, even one with subdivisions. I'm good at writing an "Emerging artist/Art for art's sake" grant, because I do them all the time. I've never written a grant slanted towards arts in education or art for the disadvantaged, and there are different hurdles you need to jump in those. You need to know your audience. The grantmaker wants to make grants and also wants to know its contribution is wisely invested by a reliable organization that fits their funding profile. That's what you are trying to show them in your cover letter and project description. So my first tips on grant writing? Research your potential sources. Try and write a clear, detailed and vivid project description (do you know how many of these they have to read?) and try and establish some sort of continued and personal relationship with funders. I'll bet you anything that one of the San Francisco Arts Organizations has a beginning grant writing workshop (Check out thefieldsf.org - their parent organization in NY has very good grant writing workshops) and maybe Yerba Buena has something?

Good luck!

[ 08-31-2001: Message edited by: Leigh Witchel ]

Gigi, most big cities have a chapter of AFP (Association of Fundraising Professionals.) The website is: http://www.nsfre.org/

I would check with them and see if they are offering any courses or can point you in the right direction.

Another option would be to call some of the larger performing arts organizations in San Francisco and talk to their grantwriters. Informational interviewing is a great way to get good information!