This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

What are the "high arts"

[board Host Beanie on]

So as not to derail this thread, I think the issue of experimental art versus mainstream that you bring up is a different one than that of High and Low art. You're welcome to start a discussion on it, but I'd ask you to keep in mind what was posted on an earlier thread. We're a pro-ballet site, not an Anti Everything Else site. You're welcome to dislike things, but please don't be dismissive, for the sake of discussion.

[board Host Beanie off]

Here are some quotes from Twyla Tharp from the Richmond Times-Dispute on 1/31/03, that are relevant.

Dance should be much more accessible in our culture than it is. It has become identified too much as that which is rarefied and elitist, as opposed to something that is made for all of us, and something that is our natural birthright," Tharp said.

"I'm known for seducing people into believing that dance is relevant to their lives. You know what? It is. You know why? Dance is basically the primary art form, even though we have lost track of that. Without movement, you have no art, without movement, you have no painting."