This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

ballet in spain!!!

hi!!! altough maybe anyone of you know anything about which i'm going to tell, i want to moan about it!

i'm from spain, and in my country "ballet" is totally discriminated.to study dance in spain you must go to Madrid, and in other provinces you colud't become a real dancer.

other thing! spain is not knowed in the dance world!! but here we have some good companies!! this is obviusly because dance is not knowed here, and this way it isn't possible that spain dance are knowed in others countries!

someone know the "compañia nacional de danza" of Nacho Duato? this is not a classical company, but is an important company!! and here they are not understanded...

well!! thanks fot your attention! now, i feel better! i only hope that situation of dance in spain will improve!!

bye!

Lu, I saw Nacho Duato's "Compania Nacional de Danza" in Grenoble (France) two or three years ago. I liked very much some works, and totally disliked some others... Actually that tour was quite successful and Duato's company is quite well known in France. Also there are a few works by Duato in the repertory of other companies. And, from what I have read on this site, there are some works of Duato in the repertory of some American companies too (you might use the "search" link at the top right of the page to try to find older posts with reviews of such works)- however, they don't seem to have been very appreciated...

AlsoI have seen Victor Ullate's company (Ballet de la comunidad de Madrid) once in Lyon. The dancers were very good, but I didn't like much Ullate's choreographies (much athleticism and speed and little artistic content).

In your opinion, why is the situation of classical ballet in Spain so difficult? Are there some other forms of dance which are more popular (modern dance? flamenco and other folk dancers?), so that little attention is paid to ballet?

hi!!

than you for your answer...

i understand you about nacho duato's company because i dislike some works of nacho too, but i like the most...

the victor ullate's company is also a good company in spain but i think it is worse than the "compañia nacional de danza".i agree with you, his coreographies aren't very good...

i think the situation of the ballet in spain is because here other fomrs of dance are more popular (flamenco and modern dance as you said), but it is also because in spain there are other entertaiments, here "culture" are not very loved... it is more important football... there are exceptions, but is the most...

a fez time ago there was a survey here, in it we can see that most spanish people don't read often, don't go to the theatre, and obviusly they don't know ballet dance!!

i suppose that this happen in other many countries too, but i'm dissapointed with it...

what do you think about it?

bye!!

Hola Lu!

Yes, I do agree with a lot of what you said. At least I feel I can talk about Spain as I lived there and had a school there.

Spain has no ballet tradition at all - and tradition is something which normally takes a long time to develop. At the moment I think that great strides have been taken and it will no doubt become very much better soon.

Just think of England, did they have a great ballet tradition just, say 80 years ago? No, they didn't, and look at them today!

You need hard work, a lot of dedicated and clever people with vision and talented pupils in good schools.

What did Balanchine say? "First we must have a school". Indeed!!!

In my opinion there are too few classical ballet schools of good quality in Spain, hence you don't get a good selection. But have patience, I bet that Spain is the next up and coming country in Europe as far as ballet is concerned. There are already quite a few Spanish born great stars.

oh! i've forgotten a thing!

in my town, "oviedo" (is on the north of spain), there is no way to study ballet...and to solve this, we created an asociation "asociación de amigos de la danza y las artes escénicas".in this asociation are united almost all of the academies; but we don't get anything because the council don't help us! we do actuations once a year, and some courses not very often...

i have an idea for show dance to the people.. i want to dance in the streets!! and do some courses for people who not know the ballet! but the people of the asiciation don't like this ideas very much...

time will decide!!

bye!

Thanks for letting us know what's going on in Spain, Lu -- I hope you'll write about ballet performances you see, too.

I was always told that the reason ballet had never taken hold in Spain was because there was such a rich classical and folk dance tradition there (classical Spanish dance, that is). But, of course, I'm glad ballet is getting more exposure there, too.