Eifman's Giselle Rouge

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#1 vila

vila

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:29 AM

is coming to Paris for a few days at the end of the month. I understand it is a ballet based on Olga Spessivtseva's life but I still do not know what to expect. I will probably go out of curiosity (and to be able to vote on the Forsythe/Eifman poll :) ). For those interested, it will be on at the Mogador which is a theatre near the Opéra, there are a couple of dates in Feb. aswell.

Further details on :
http://www.orchestre...drier/index.htm

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 08:21 AM

Hi, Vila -- we will await your review with interest :) This ballet did come to New York, and as I remember it, we had strongly divided opinions: In this corner, those who thought that it was a masterwork and Eifman the greatest choreographer of the day; and in that corner, those who thought the ballet was preposterous, tasteless, and pop! I don't know anyone who's in the middle on Eifman. Outside of New York, though, his company generally gets good reviews. It will be very interesting to see what Paris makes of him!

#3 vila

vila

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:00 AM

ooh, that much a contreversial character ? Am definetly booking a ticket then, straight away ! I did catch a bit of the New Year's concert in Vienna on tv (all romantic capes and hair blowing in the wind) and I'm afraid there is a little part of me might revel in high melodrama...
Will report and thank you very much for your warm welcome Alexandra.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 09:06 AM

You're welcome :) I remember your posts -- I hope I'm right! -- on the French dancrers in Copenhagen, and we'd hoped to hear more from you. The majority of our posters are American, but this doesn't mean we're only interested in ballet in American -- mais non! We want to hear about ballet everywhere, so please tell us about your travels, as well as what you see in Paris. Regarding this particular ballet, I'd be very interested in hearing your impressions of the audience and the reaction to the ballet, as well as what you think of it -- yes, Eifman is very controversial :)

#5 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 935 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:18 PM

The Eifman Ballet is also coming to London in February, with Red Giselle and Tchaikowsky. It's the first time we will have seen any of his long ballets here. In the same month we get Bejart's piece about Mother Theresa, with Marcia Haydee.

#6 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:23 PM

Wow.

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 24,824 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 02:29 PM

In the same month we get Bejart's piece about Mother Theresa, with Marcia Haydee.

Hmm. Sounds like a good opportunity to have a scientific study of the physiological reactions of balletgoers exposed within a very brief time frame to major works based upon the lives of historical figures by Eifman and Béjart.

vila, I think we all revel a little in high melodrama! If you love it or hate it, please report back. Looking forward to reading what you think.

#8 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:21 PM

Mother Theresa?! :eek:

#9 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:33 PM

I need to echo Alexandra. Wow. I think my brain is exploding from that idea. I'll go lie down now.

#10 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 03:40 PM

Oy!

#11 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 04:37 PM

Although it does seem, to me at least, at first glance that the idea of a ballet about Mother Theresa sounds as though it were dreamt up by a group of balletomanes stranded in an airport for too long, I'd go to see this one. Bejart is nothing if not a man of the theater, and I'd be interested to see what he'd do with it. I'd also like to get a few views of Eifman from Europe, and I hope we do.

#12 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:24 PM

To be serious, there is an interesting divide here. Those who admire the Bejart/Eifman model of working admire them for the audacity of the idea and the grand-scale theatrical nature of the audacity. Or you think it's an awful idea. It's two very different mindsets.

#13 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 05:36 PM

Vila, I have only seen 'Red Giselle' and 'Russian Hamlet'.

The first drew me in instantly and I stayed enthralled the whole evening. I would see 'Red Giselle' again.

As for 'Russian Hamlet', I was again drawn in only to become bored after the first ten minutes. Except for my fascination with the velvet Romanov Eagle chair, the boredom never ceased, and I couldn't wait for the ballet to end.

#14 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 06:21 PM

As far as "Red Giselle" went with me, I thought it was brilliant when I first saw it, then in a sort of Law of Diminishing Returns, the more I recall it, the less and less I like what I remember!

#15 vila

vila

• PipPip
  • 43 posts

Posted 08 January 2003 - 03:52 AM

Oh we are going to get out share of Béjart too, ;) here in Paris but only in April, at the Palais des Congrès. http://bejart.ch/fr/actu/home_tour.htm

2 ballets : Presbytère a.k.a. Ballet for Life (music by Queen and Wolfgang Amadeus Mozart/costumes by Gianni Versace (my heart balances between :eek: & :) )
and The Enchanted flute (Mozart left on his own this time around)!

When was the last time the company visited the States ? They don't seem to tour much out of Europe (even London seems a rarity), save Japan... or am I wrong ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):