This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Name Game

• Please log in to reply
18 replies to this topic

#16 Guest_justDANCE_*

Guest_justDANCE_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 22 August 2001 - 06:11 PM

What does Ballet Russe mean anyway? And why is it so popular? I've heard of the name(s) before...but I wonder why so many people pick it!

#17 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 06:22 PM

I think it means Russian, justdance, and it was so popular because the Russian Ballet was considered the best and most popular. :)

#18 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 06:24 PM

It just means "Russian ballet", but in French. In addition to having the ritzy French about it, it also expresses the Conventional Wisdom that the Russians are the very best at ballet. It also was the name of the Diaghilev company at the beginning of the last century, which organization "ballets Russes", actually, had the most profound effect on the development of ballet as an art.

#19 ~A.C~

~A.C~

• PipPip
  • 40 posts

Posted 22 August 2001 - 09:30 PM

Wouldn't it be frightening if ABT sudenly changed it's name to Ballet Russe? (I don't know where that came from.) :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):