This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Alina Cojocaru in ABT's La Bayadere

I have made up my mind to fly across the country for a weekend excursion on May 10 to watch Alina debut in ABT's La Bayadere. The problem is, single performance ticket won't be on sale until end of March and I'm afraid that by that time the tickets might be sold out. Another option is to buy the subscription to ABT's Met season, but they come in group of four preformances which I will be wasting three unuse tickets. My dilemma is, should I take a chance and wait until the single ticket become available, or go ahead and buy the subscription. Any advice from knowledgeable person will be most thankful. Also, if I may be so bold to ask those native to New York city for their advices on which airport is the best to be arriving into the city, I'm thinking about staying in the hotels around the Central Park area. Thanks.

Thank you for the infomation Ms. Leigh :) I will find out which day the single ticket go on sale and cross my fingers hoping they don't sell out. I wonder if in the past do the seats usually sold out at the Met when a special event such as Alina Cojocaru dances in the ABT?

It does happen sometimes, Maxi. No way of knowing. If you know anyone in NY who is a member of the Met or ABT, they might have the same type of thing we have here for the Kennedy Center, which is a short period of time to get tickets for events before they become available to the general public. Members will receive a notice well ahead of time on when they have access to single tickets. Major company performances, especially those with big name guest stars, do sell out quickly here, and I think they do in NY too :)

Maxi - A lot of people opt for the Radisson Empire, right near the Theater. They often will offer a accomodations/ticket package - ask either the hotel or Lincoln Center. I visited Giannina there, and it seemed quite pleasant.

If you're on a budget, I think the Best Western Woodward has acceptable standard rooms and is about a 15 minute walk from the theater (it's at 55/Broadway), but maybe with packages you can get a good deal at the Empire.

Have a great time visiting us!

And if you're really on a budget, or just want to spend all your money on NYC cultural offerings, you might try the 63rd Y, just a block from the theater. A year ago it was only $75, and if you're very lucky and get a high southeast corner room, you'll have a spectacular view of Central Park and the skylines. If you're unlucky you'll get the airshaft.

I'm also working on places to stay in New York for those dates...and I expect the performances will sell out and pretty quickly.

I'm a little wary, though, as I haven't had great luck with making special trips to see a specific dancer. (My favorite ballerina was Kirkland.) I thought I would see Cojacaru on a work-related trip to the UK this past summer...I even had a ticket bought just a week before the performance, but she canceled due to an injury. I will probably end up at the State Theater if that happens this May...