This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

1946, Sleeping Beauty -- a book

• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,056 posts

Posted 01 January 2003 - 03:26 PM

Lovely photos. That ballet doesn't look like a "museum peice" to me.

#17 Fraildove

Fraildove

• PipPipPip
  • 103 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 11:24 PM

It is so wonderful to see that picture of Danton. I studied with him and he became not only a mentor, but a second grandfather to me. Pictures of him are so hard to come by. Thank you!

#18 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,925 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 12:08 AM

wonderful pictures -- such supple upper bodies, such vivid dancers --

are these from the war years? THose days seem to have been incredibly charged for the Saddlers' Wells group, they were not just part of the war effort, they performed like heroes, under unbelievable conditions, air raids, all that.....

and i have to agree with Glebb, it's wonderful to see Larsen in DANCING form....

#19 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 04:34 AM

The pictures appear to be either from the war years or just immediately prior to the Oliver Messel production. I don't recall Florestan having a hat, or Desiré a headpiece in the Messel. And yes, the Sadler's Wells folk had a vigorous and vibrant part to play in the WWII effort. I was doing some research into Operation Overlord (D-Day) and found a dispatch from an RAF station, sent by a "Flight Officer F. Ashton"! It was only passing along weather, but it was something!

#20 Jane Simpson

Jane Simpson

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 950 posts

Posted 03 January 2003 - 05:09 AM

No, I think it's the Messel production - they never did the earlier one at Covent Garden. No doubt bits fell off it over the years!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):