This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

AND FINALLY (any insight into this one?):

--Performers onstage clapping for themselves shorly after bows. When/how did this practice, seen now in many different performing genres, begin? It used to happen only when, say, the choreographer would come on stage. Now everyone claps.

I'm with Hans. I don't notice that this has become a regular event. The few times I've seen dancers applauding during the calls, it's been directed at the choreographer on a premiere, for the principals when they have really outdone themselves, or for the musicians for unusually fine playing. Clapping for themselves? :) I really don't think I've seen that one. :dunno:

I've seen dancers clap for their peers, usually for a farewell performance, and sometimes for premieres. At PNB, dancers always clap for musicians who appear onstage; I seem to remember this for Gordon Boelzner and Jerry Zimmerman at NYCB as well. (Mark Morris and his dancers have acknowledged live musicians who play for them in every performance of MMDG I've seen. He loves that "ta-da" gesture to the musicians.) Opera singers clap for each other all the time during curtain calls when they come out sequentially, and for the conductor and orchestra, and every once in a while, the chorus. I've seen this around the world.

I think what dancers hate the most.... is an unappreciative audience. You know them... You've sat near them... the ones who are just too tired I guess (and rude) to clap at all...or they can't muster any energy to make any sort of noise. These people just sit there... after a beautiful (only once) gift that has been given to them.

Then these very same audience persons can be found chatting up a storm with friends, et al. -- with great energy -- at the intermission's bar.

p.s. Cell phones, audience persons rushing out (during bows) - rushing to their cars, trains, whatever.... These things are upsetting to performers of all kinds on stage... for sure... but minorly so compared to the lack of appreciation.

But they're certainly no worse than the underpopulated prologue to Beauty that the Kirov brought to the Met in the '80s. Suppose they gave a christening and nobody came? Barely enough bodies on stage to suggest pomp, let alone pageantry. :yawn:

I think what dancers hate the most.... is an unappreciative audience. You know them... You've sat near them... the ones who are just too tired I guess (and rude) to clap at all...or they can't muster any energy to make a noise. These people just sit there... after a beautiful (only once) gift has been given to them.

[sNIP]

p.s. Cell phones, audience persons (during bows) rushing to their cars, trains, whatever.... These things are upsetting to those on stage for sure... but minorly so compared to the above often very visible lack of appreciation.

Perhaps this varies with the...lunar phases? Certainly when I was a dancer in the provinces I often felt that audiences came more out of duty than of pleasure. Anyway, from where I've been sitting lately, audiences can't seem to get enough of themselves clapping, hooting, standing for ovations, etc. I guess I appreciate the audiences that are too spellbound to clap! (I do agree, though, that there's really nothing like a genuine spontaneous roar of applause--AFTER a great performace.)