This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Cope and Guillem in New Year Honours

Gamzatti

Congratulations to Jonathan Cope who has been made a CBE in the Queen's New Year Honours List.

Sylvie Guillem too, has been awarded an honorary CBE (Commander of the British Empire). Congratulations to her - a big thing to be awarded, especially as she is not originally from the UK.

Isn't it great news! This is from the BBC website http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/a...rts/2616063.stm

"French dancer Sylvie Guillem, described as the world's most feted ballerina, is made an honorary CBE, 13 years after she joined the Royal Ballet as its principal guest artist. The 37-year-old once said: "I just know that when I go on stage, I give everything I have, not only my legs, not only my feet, not only my body. I try to tell a story. Sometimes I'm able to cry because I feel like it. Sometimes I'm able to love because I feel like it."

Her award partners the CBE given to Jonathan Cope, principal dancer at the Royal Ballet for 16 years.

His repertory includes Siegfried, Romeo, Florimund and many others. He also created the Illusionist in Sawdust and Tinsel."

The Queen must have enjoyed the Jubilee gala after all!;)