• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 10:34 PM

Phrases I'd like to leave behind in 2002 and never read again:

"We are not a museum company!"

"No tutus and toe shoes for the XYZ ballet!"

"Jones has turned classical ballet on its ear!"

"The new work goes beyond ballet..."

I could think of more, but I don't want to be piggy.

Are there any phrases you'd like to confine to oblivion?

#2 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 30 December 2002 - 11:57 PM

". . .yet firmly rooted in classical technique. . ."

#3 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:15 AM

"What better way to pay tribute to the creative legacy of Choreographer X than by continuing to commission new ballets?"

"Blends elements of contemporary and classical dance"

"We need to update our repertoire for the younger set"

No names. ;)

#4 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 03:04 AM

"...drags ballet into the 21st Century...."

A real insult to the intelligence on the bases of both ćsthetics and physics.

#5 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 06:55 AM

"brings [insert old chestnut here] up-to-date"

"Diamond Project" (oops, that just kinda slipped out)

#6 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 07:23 AM

X's artistic vision....

heritage works...

#7 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:16 AM

someone who could take the company to the next level

embracing of our strategy for the future

move the company forward.

redefining the creative concept

move forward and get things back on track in a positive way

make the company into one of the 10 best in the world.

new level of international excellence and recognition

put it on the map

#8 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:44 AM

Referring to a classical ballet as "just classroom steps."

#9 Juliet

Juliet

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 720 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 11:49 AM

Edgy
(Makes me think of the Caffeine Fairy)

appealing to a younger audience

bike shorts

#10 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 12:21 PM

bike shorts. WELL. If we're going to get into the things that really matter, like costume! I could live without seeing a pair of bare feet shoved into pointe shoes again. I really could. And footless tights, line breakers that they are, could turn up on someone's Out list without causing a pang.

#11 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 December 2002 - 01:15 PM

All variants on "X's work had order and formality (or purpose). A little abandon would have been welcome" (or, "but one had little sense of why.")

I've seen this review many times. I've GOTTEN this review :) I'd love to see writers start asking what about formalism is so elusive to them.

#12 Mary J

Mary J

• PipPipPip
  • 139 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:24 AM

These phrases confirm my perception that ballet is just another business (or maybe that ballet criticism is just another corporate public relations opportunity). It is a safe bet that even the Enron Annual Report had a phrase similar to "We are poised to take energy trading into the 21st century. We are not a museum company."

#13 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:30 AM

It IS just another business, unfortunately.

I think I'd add: X is a WORLD CLASS company.

I've had to check a couple of company web sites in the past couple of days and I'm astounded at how many "world class" companies there are. Some of them have 20 dancers, are in small cities, dance four times a year. What possible meaning do they think the phrase has? The Dutch National Ballet describes itself this way: "World class in every sense it ranks alongside the other major international dance companies." To be sure it is absolutely clear what they mean by "other major international companies," they expand upon this inside: "Het Nationale Ballet ranks alongside other prestigious international companies such as The Royal Ballet, Le Ballet de l'Opéra de Paris, American Ballet Theatre, the Kirov Ballet and the Bolshoi Ballet." Really.

By this standard, DanceView is an internationally renowned publication -- 10% of our subscribers live in Europe and all of them renown it :)

#14 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,702 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:39 AM

i offer the following as a comparison, from the front pages of the souvenir program of the 1916 diaghilev ballets russes. worth noting, IMO, that apart from one page noting where the company is touring, one listing the board of directors of the metropolitan opera by name (personal, not company), and text giving the stories of the ballets, this is the only text in the entire book in which, essentially, the company is talking about itself.

"Artistic unity and harmonious cooperation are the keynotes of the Russian Ballet. It is important to remember that the supreme technical excellence of individual dancers is the least remarkable element contributing to the sensational success of M. Diaghileff's organization. The art of his famous maitre de ballet would lose half its significance in a commonplace setting, or accompanied by banal music. On the other hand, to appreciate properly the genius of a Stravinsky, we must be assisted by the interpretations of the mimes and dancers. The maquettes of the great decorators, Bakst, Roerich, Anisfeld and the rest, glow like Persian miniatures on walls, and art connoisseurs are justified in prizing them highly. But how much more thrilling their work becomes when magnified on an ample stage! A perfect performance is essential to intensify the values and originality of these various elements, and it would seem that the Diaghileff Company alone can give such performances. America is fortunate in being offered a dazzling repertoire in which every phase of their amazing versatility will be given full scope."

#15 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 02 January 2003 - 07:47 AM

Aha! Diaghilev invented marketing! (Except that really was a world-class company, and purple though the prose is, I don't think it is inaccurate!)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):