This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

European ballet companies

Guest Anya Russian

Guest Anya Russian

I am interested in dancing in a ballet company in Europe that has a varied repertoire but with a stong emphasis on classic ballets. I have been looking on websites to try to find information on various companies worldwide, but it is hard to determine what kind of reputation they have and if they are more modern or classical. Having had intense Russian training for the past few years I would like to find a company that I will fit in well but that will also challenge me to explore other styles of ballet. Does anyone have any suggestions or information about such European companies or how to find more detailed information. What is the best way to contact European companies and what is the best way to audition for them.

www.artslynx.org/dance/index.htm

Check out this site. Try the Master Sites section. Most companies have web sites, and most of them list the repertoire. This will show you whether they are more classical or contemporary. Usually there are some photos too. There should also be an address or phone number to contact them, and maybe an email address. You will need to contact each company to find out their audition policies.

Guest leslie

Both of those web sites will be helpful, and there is also a book published by the name of Dance Directory of European Ballet Companies. I believe you can order it through dance magazine.

In my experiences in auditioning through Europe, I found that most of the bigger national companies have strong classical backgrounds and some neo and modern thrown on top; the smaller companies are more centered around a specfic choreographer as a kind of 'think tank' for new works and ideas. Smaller companies in Europe seem to be much more aimed towards progressive ideas than they do here in the states.

When I auditioned, I sent my resume and photos telling the dates I planned to be in the area and then auditioned by taking company class. Most companies were fine by that.

Guest Anya Russian

Thanks for all the suggestions. I looked on the Dance Europe website and this was helpful. I was thinking of going to Europe to audition around this Dec. or Jan. The companies listed on the European dance guides seem to hold most of their auditions for the next season around May or so. Will I have a fair chance at auditioning and at getting in these companies if I did a company class audition in Dec. or Jan?