This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

C-M. Osta appointed étoile

• Please log in to reply
22 replies to this topic

#16 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:52 AM

I'm very sorry Alexandra and please accept my apologies. I was speaking of promotions in general and the way of people are discussing them in general. On some french parts of the Web that I think Estelle know (but you may know them if you're able to understand french) the promotions are discussed in an excessive way (or with too much passion :rolleyes:confused: ) to my mind. I have noticed that nowhere on the English speaking parts people are discussing in a such drastic way. I was reffering to that when I said that Estelle would understand. Once again, please accept my apologies

#17 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 06 January 2003 - 10:56 AM

Oh, no apology is necessary! I was just responding to the part of your post that said "I'm not sure if it's a good idea to discuss these issues." We agree. Each forum and web site has its own personality, and it's not my intention to criticize anyone, but our way is to avoid gossip and what you so politelly call "excessive discussion" :) I thought it wouldn't hurt to set out our rules.

So I think we are in agreement -- and I'm very glad of that :)

#18 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 04:59 AM

cygneblanc, I know what you mean about the discussions about promotions- well, it seems that here eveybody agrees that it's better not to start such heated discussions about it!

About Osta: Katharine, I agree that Osta's repertory probably isn't as large as Maurin's now. On the other hand, she also is very good in the Balanchine and Robbins repertory (but I know you don't care for it...) And, as cygneblanc wrote, perhaps being at last an etoile will give her more self-confidence. In a recent interview, Aurélie Dupont said that being a premiere danseuse was not easy, because she generally had at most only one performance of the "big roles" (well, now, due to the lack of etoiles, the premieres danseuses get more opportunities), she knew that the direction would be watching her, and so any mistake could have been fatal to her career. That might lead some to dance in a rather "restrained" way...

Still about Osta: an article by Paul Ben-Itzak mentioning her performance in "Paquita" and her promotion:

http://www.danceinsi...er/c010203.html

Excerpt:
"In the "Paquita" performance I saw, Osta made this statement, in her airiness as well as her lack of airs. This doesn't always serve her well; her entrance as Paquita into the gypsy lair was unspectacular. One didn't get that "the ballerina has just entered the room" buzz. But the naturalism with which she approached the role made the story believable, from her first understated glances at Bart's Lucien to her clean and earnest pantomime in the following scene, where she communicates to Lucien that her gypsy cohort Inigo (Yann Saiz) intends to give him drugged wine and then murder him. Her earnestness also had the effect of elevating her partner, with Bart, often wooden in his acting, getting swept up in the intrigue.

Osta's own elevation made the dancing and the ballet. It was a throwback to the floating peris we only read about, and thus the money moment of the evening, a welcome reminder of why and how ballet is magical."

#19 cygneblanc

cygneblanc

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 450 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 09:27 AM

Thanks for the URL, Estelle! Vulnerability and humanity are the perfect words for describing Claire-Marie Osta! :)

#20 Terry

Terry

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 183 posts

Posted 09 January 2003 - 10:05 PM

Sorry I have to jump in to say a couple of things! From a couple of performances that I saw of Mlle Osta this past season, I think she's proven to be a very capable dancer, but I really can't say that she has the "etoile" quality. She's certainly secure technically, but as Bart said in one of his interviews, I believe it was with the BalletAlert magazine, there has to be that extra "a little more"...and to me, Mlle. Osta didn't have that. But I want to remain optimistic. I think dancers can change, and I hope that during the course of the next 8yrs, Mlle Osta will be able to attain that "etoile" quality.

#21 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 17 February 2003 - 04:06 PM

I'm a bit late, but I like Clairemarie Osta quite a bit myself and I just wanted to add, especially for those who think she still needs progress, she said that she was very happy to be Etoile, but she now had to work. So, she might be able to satisfy more people in a bit of time. I'm not trying to convince you that she is good, or saying you are wrong, I'm only making a point which might give you hope.

#22 balletowoman

balletowoman

• Pip
  • 7 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 10:20 AM

I didn't know she was so small... I saw a documentary while I was in France over the Christmas period, and someone in this (was it Brigitte Lefevre? Can't remember :D ) said that she was really feminine and used this in her dancing, and I think that's the quality I like most in Claire-Marie: she is a woman and it shows! I don't mean to say that it doesn't show in others, but with her, it's like she oozes sensuality and sexyness (and I'm a woman myself! wonder what my boyfriend would say when he'd see her dance?) :rolleyes:

#23 Françoise

Françoise

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 185 posts

Posted 18 February 2003 - 03:07 PM

It was Ghislaine Thesmar who said in the documentary "from school to etoile" she was a woman, she compared all the merits of the differents premiere danseuse : She said that Pujol was a technical dancer but not again an artist, Abbagnato was an artist but with some technical default, the more complete for her was Marie-Agnès Gillot who was a true and complete artist.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):