This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Hello! I'm new to this board (just introduced myself on the Welcome Board) and I'm looking for some input from you native New Yorkers. I'm going to be in NY for a few days at the end of May and intend to see ABT's Merry Widow while there. I've never been to NY before so have never been in the Met Theatre. The only tickets available for the day I've got free are Orchestra and Balcony. There's of course quite a price difference between the two so I'm wondering what the seats are like. Is it really worth it to spend so much on Orchestra seats that could be at the back of that section? Or will balcony seats suffice? Any input would be much appreciated. Thank you!

Hi--

If you have binoculars/opera glasses, I'd vote for the balcony. Merry Widow is not something that you need to see from the orchestra--however, try to get Balcony that is in the center, at least.

I cannot believe that Dress Circle is sold out, as this is not a new production, but you can always try the box office at the last minute, as you may be in luck.

Hope you have a great visit!!! Can't you do a City Ballet matinee and an ABT evening? Now THAT would be the norm......

have fun--

Thank you Juliet and bobsey for your replies. I'm only going by the ABT website as to what seats are available the day I'm free. It's good to know that there could be tickets available at the box office the day of. Now I won't have to buy them online. As for seeing both companies....I don't think I could convince my travelling companion that we should see two ballets. I think one is enough for her and since ABT is my favourite of the two, they win out. Thanks again for the input.

:)

If you buy the tickets now, the Met will give the best available seats. If you wait till the day of, probably they'll have only seats all the way to the back or to the sides or singles. Let me know if you are going on May 28, I may have extra tickets I can sell you at discount.

If you could get someone to go to the box office for you, they also have Dress Circle Boxes for the same price as the center of the Balcony. You are one tier lower down. The payoff is that the seats are on the side. HOWEVER, if you can get seats in the ones furthest from the stage you really don't miss much. Sometimes the boxes don't sell out at all. I bought one for a Giselle last weekend. They gave me the second box from the back in the 4th seat. Now this is not great, because the boxes have a curve to them, but when I got there, there was no one else in my box, so I could arrange the seats as I chose. They usually sell Seat 4 to a single person first, because that way they can sell either a pair or three seats together. The box seats are only available from the box office. I kind of doubt that Merry Widow is going to be a big sellout. You can probably pick up something when you get here, but if you are nervous and feel you MUST have something in advance, I'd go for the Balcony - as long as you have a good pair of binoculars.

Thank you to mussel and felursus for the replies. Sorry mussel, but the day I want to go is May 30. I hope you find someone to take your tickets. felursus, the tip about the Dress Circle box seats was great! I've got a friend there who is going to check that out for me and get tickets (if still available). Thanks again for all the help. I can't wait for my trip!