This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Balanchine/Stravinsky film

The following is from a flyer I got in the mail:

Dance on Camera Festival 2003

Balanchine/Stravinsky

Fri Jan 17:7; Sat Jan 18:1

Music Dances: Balanchine Choreographs Stravinsky

USA, 2002; 96 min

This fascinating work celebrates the seminal collaboration of the 20th century between a composer and a choreographer. Conceived and written by dance historian and musicologist Stephanie Jordan, it shows the extraordinary range of ways in which Balanchine approached Stravinsky's music. The major focus is Agon, with excerpts from Apollo, Duo Concertant and the Divertimento from Le Baiser de la Fee. Also included are New York City Ballet principal dancers Peter Boal, Albert Evans and Wendy Whelan, an interview with Suzanne Farrell, and rare rehearsal archive footage of Movements for Piano and Orchestra.

Walter Reade Theater, 165 West 65th St., (212) 875-5600

Tickets: $9.50, $7.00 full-time students

Phooey. That is the one weekend in January that I DON'T plan to be in NY. I am going to Dallas for the National Figure Skating Championships, something I have wanted to do for years! I am thrilled to be going, but I hate to miss this film.

Charles Joseph teaches at Skidmore. I was truly fortunate to have the chance to audit his course in Balanchine and Stravinsky, team taught by a dance faculty member. The course was amazing and a highlight was a lecture by Stephanie Jordan who is a brilliant dance historian as well as a great speaker. The film should be wonderful.

It seems to me that with our local connection the film should be screened at the National Museum of Dance--yes, right here in Saratoga. I will contact the director to see if it can be done.

Any information about the distributor of the film and how to obtain a print would be much appreciated. And thanks.