• Please log in to reply
47 replies to this topic

#46 bobbi

bobbi

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 254 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 04:10 AM

BW, how very sexist of me to use only the male pronoun in referring to you. My profound apologies. As a woman, I should know better!!

I'm very glad that your husband (and you too) enjoyed Tracey's performances; I really can understand why she had many, many fans, just not me. What upset me about her dancing -- and why I so agree with Robert Gottlieb's comment -- was that, although Tracey was a beautiful woman and was a good technician, her dancing -- to my ears -- had absolutely no relationship to the music. So when Gottlieb said "Teach what," I understood him to mean that Tracey has nothing to offer about the art of phrasing. After more than thirty years of going to NYCB, I have absorbed Balanchine's dictum (hear the dance, see the music). With Tracey, I felt deprived indeed.

And, yes, I too have very much enjoyed Yvonne Borree in Duo Concertant. However, as Ms. Borree herself said in a profile appearing in one of NYCB's recent progams, she admits to not being a technician. So Gottlieb's comment (why is she there), just hit home for me. One gets a little upset at "white knuckle" (will she get through it?) performances from a NYCB principal dancer.

But, BW, I'm going to get a copy from the library of the book you liked!!

#47 emhbunhead

emhbunhead

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 17 July 2002 - 05:31 PM

in agreement with kaydenmark, i too wonder if we will have to wait until martins' retirment to see some of the elder (if thats the proper word) of the dancers leaving. darci is what, mid-late 30s now? and from what ive read, heard, nd seen the past few years she is not exactly a spring chicken. in reference to the young corps- having grown up with most of them, there were few that really stood out as exeptional talents. of course there are the bouders in there... but it upsets me to see such lovely girls standing in the back and starving themselves. case in point- a young girl, about 2 years older than myself... who ive known since i was 10, joined city ballet like 2 years ago, and has now disapeared... left the company and apparently has quit. its such a shame to see such a waste of talent. now that im away from the whole SAB aura, i realize life does not revolve around being in city ballet. and i wish it was that wasy for some of the girls in the corps. LEAVE!!! go to san francisco, pnb, miami, and be a soloist!! and another thing i may be biased but margaret tracey is one of few with personality thankyouverymuch

#48 tempusfugit

tempusfugit

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPip
  • 117 posts

Posted 20 July 2002 - 02:21 PM

Amanda, I agree completely about Borree's inability to manage the steps in Square Dance. not only the turns... the petit allegro in general is either anemic or simply absent. You probably all know that Patricia Wilde, on whom the role was made, was one of the spectacular dancers of her period; there is a Bell Telephone Hour or some such thing from 1963 which has her performance of this role. to say it is revelatory is an understatement. of NYCB ballerinas I have seen in the role, only Ashley and Nichols (both dazzling technicians themselves) came close to doing all of Wilde's original steps. The role is unfortunately one of those which is usually dumbed down and simplified out of existence, alas-- Wilde's footwork is of a caliber rare even at NYCB, and not appearing in this ballet currently. Why don't they cast Bouder, Somogyi, or Taylor in it? :-)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):