The art of discovery or how you found yourself here.

• Please log in to reply
28 replies to this topic

#16 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:28 PM

I still don't remember how I found this site. But I think I may have found it from the BalletAlert or Dance View magazine since I subscribed to them first. And I found THOSE magazines at a local ballet studio while waiting for my daughter at a master class. I remember reading an article in my first issue of either one of those with some very witty quotes that originated as a thread here. So I suppose I searched out the website from there.

#17 vagansmom

vagansmom

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 543 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:35 AM

As a little advertising plug, I look forward to both these publications because they treat topics in more depth. The reviews and the interviews are detailed as compared to the cursory attention accorded ballets in some other publications.

#18 Jaana Heino

Jaana Heino

• PipPip
  • 37 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 11:54 PM

I had just started ballet as an adult beginner, and was browsing the web for information. I happened on this board, and was utterly amazed by the combination of helpfulness towards beginners and wealths of expert knowledge. Such a combination is very, very rare anywhere and even more so on the web. I was hooked. :P

#19 BalletFlaMom

BalletFlaMom

• PipPip
  • 18 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 03:38 PM

I remember myself just sort of "stumbling" across it, viewing some of the posts and then joining (August 2001). I initially did not post often, as I found people (in MY LITTLE MIND, at least) neither friendly, nor very "forgiving", it seemed to me a "I KNOW better than YOU attitude" (AGAIN, this is all relevant to ME!!). Actually, it was you BW, I believe, in an evening AOL IM convo that convinced me to "check it out again". I did, I LOVE it, I've gotten OVER my "childish" paranoia! :P

#20 psavola

psavola

• PipPip
  • 21 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 11:08 AM

I'm here because I knew Jaana Heino who raved to me at a party about this great ballet-only message board which was moderated and had great professional people.

I lurked around for a short while, and then decided to join. :P

I'm really impressed by the wealth of knowledge on this board and the effort moderators put in.

Päivi

#21 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 24 October 2002 - 03:23 PM

I've been wondering how people "discovered" Ballet Alert!" and its "Ballet Talk"...

If memory serves me correctly, someone I didn't know sent me an email with several ballet related websites that had discussion boards. From there, I believe it was Vagansmom who introduced me to this site, and for that I am truly thankful. :P What else would I do with all my free time? ;)

But seriously, how did you discover Ballet Alert!?

#22 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 05:37 PM

Hmm, vagansmom, you just gave me an idea for gift giving! Why not subscribe to Ballet Alert and/or Dance View for one's favorite teacher(s) or for the whole school/studio? :P

#23 mic31

mic31

• PipPip
  • 11 posts

Posted 03 November 2002 - 07:13 PM

I was new to ballet and was searching the net for some good informative sites. I found ballet alert through a site on a webring

#24 balletbooster

balletbooster

• PipPip
  • 10 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 07:42 AM

I was searching the web looking for summer ballet programs and via another link from another site, happened onto this one.

I found the information to be so helpful to me, a novice ballet mom, and the people all seemed genuinely interested in sharing their knowledge and experience.

Since becoming "hooked", I have found this site to be a safe place to share concerns, get thoughtful and helpful answers and know that there are always "professionals" watching and participating in all that is being discussed.

The added bonus for me has been the many cyber friends I have made, many of whom I have had opportunity to meet and eat with since we all found ourselves here on Ballet Talk!:P

#25 diane

diane

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 361 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 11:44 PM

I also came across it as a sort of by-product of looking for qualified answers to some teaching questions.
(After dancing -ballet- professionally for a number of years, then having a two kids, I got the opportunity to teach and wanted to do that as well as possible and was quite hungry for responsible information.)
At another board one of the posters mentioned respecting what a certain Victoria Leigh said.

So I did what anyone does nowadays:
I "googled" Ms Leigh, and found this board. ;-)

Everyone is very courteous and knowledgeable.

The quality of the discussions is quite good; most people are able to express themselves clearly and thoughtfully.
I like that.

-Diane

:P

#26 Tracey

Tracey

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 25 October 2002 - 01:08 AM

I'd just been to see a ballet for the first time in years and realised how much I missed it, both doing and watching. I then spent a while trying to find info about adult ballet on the internet and found this! I've been here nearly every day since and I love it :P

Tracey.

#27 GWTW

GWTW

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 533 posts

Posted 27 October 2002 - 01:10 AM

I don't remember how I found this site - It was a long time ago and I went through the main site. I was fascinated by the love of classical ballet that comes through and it reminded me a lot of old ballet books (like Arnold Haskell's Balletomania) - I didn't even know that there were people that think like this today. It took me a long time to delurk - to a large extent there is very little connection between the (few) performances I am able to see and the many oerformances that some of you seem to attend on an almost daily basis (i.e. those like Jeannie and the NYC contingent, who live charmed lives, ballet wise) - but now I'm trying not to be shy in posting. Thank you for a wonderful site.

#28 dancindaughter

dancindaughter

• Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 26 October 2002 - 09:15 AM

What are the addresses for subscribing to Ballet Alert or Dance View?

#29 Guest_girlintheworld_*

Guest_girlintheworld_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 15 November 2002 - 07:12 PM

I stumbled across "the-perfect-pointe" and "the pointe shoe suggestion form" first. It said that "the replies will be posted on Ballet Alert's Ballet Talk in the Pointe Shoe Topics Forum." That's how I found it.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):