Is anything vulgar (in dancing) today?

• Please log in to reply
33 replies to this topic

#31 anoushka

anoushka

• PipPip
  • 45 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 02:46 PM

I must say, the first time I saw the Kirov perform, I wasn't expecting them to stop and bow after each piece of dancing they did! It seemed to disrupt the whole flow of the balley- and also broke the spell of the other world on stage, when they stepped out and bowed! The more I've seen them, the more used to it I've got, but I am quite content with the usual curtain calls at the end of a performance!! tongue.gif

#32 Guest_Auvi_*

Guest_Auvi_*
  • Unregistered / Not Logged In

Posted 17 November 2001 - 04:00 PM

I am with Victoria, in that ballet should represent the music and not the other way around. A conductor is not going to follow a thrashing dancer who is dancing as if he/she is before a judge. Ballet is athletic, yes. But, it is also an art form in which a performer is there to present the human body in a frm that is ethereal and ellegant - not just to blow the audience away with technique.

What I consider to be vulgar is when a performer tries to outshine another. Several companies - including the Washington Ballet of the District - combine dancer of different experiences. When the more experienced dancer tries to ham it up ahead of the student or apprentice, it is a real turn-off.

[ November 17, 2001: Message edited by: Auvi ]

#33 dragonfly

dragonfly

• Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 02:51 AM

[quote]Originally posted by Mashinka:
Leigh, if its vulgar you like, just wait till you see Anastasia Volochkova, she takes vulgarity to heights you never knew existed !!!!!!!!! eek.gif

I totally agree with Mashinka.

Last September I was at "Le Gala des Etoiles" in Montreal, and Anastasia Volochkova opened the evening with a solo called "Adiemus" with music by Karl Jenkins and choreography (?) by Renato Zanella (does anyone know this choreographer?)

When I came back home I wrote a critic for a friend who could not attend and I remember telling her that this could have probably passed as a 5$ dance (refering to the club dancers who dance at the client's table for 5$ or 10$ depending on... whatever!)

I could not understand how she was allowed to present this on stage. Vulgar and completely tasteless.

Dragonfly

#34 Paul Parish

Paul Parish

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,922 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 03:12 AM

re Carabosse's theme ( a long time back in he history of htis thread)

4ts:
yes you are right, and yet i always considered the music's echoing when carabosse enters to be a perversion of the original use of the music to introduce the ballet, since when it is first used it is so glorious and when it is echoed it is so sinister. anyone care to comment?

Carabosse came to the WEDDING, or at least is present at the apotheos, in the original version, George Jackson told me just the other night.
WHich I think is WONDERFUL, that she can be brought back into the family......

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):