• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#16 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 13 July 2001 - 10:18 PM

Alexandra, Gretchen's book is indeed an excellent one, but it's called THE ART OF TEACHING BALLET, Ten Twentieth-Century Masters. The teachers she writes about are: Marika Besobrasova, William Christensen, Janina Cunovas, Gabriela Taub-Darvash, David Howard, Larry Long, Larisa Sklyanskaya, Alexander Ursuliak, Christiane Vaussard, and Anne Woolliams.

#17 liebs

liebs

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 493 posts

Posted 12 July 2001 - 09:42 PM

I think Lucia Chase certainly qualifies, although there was a strong thread of self gratification. She wanted to be a dancer and from what I've read wasn't really up to snuff professionally. ABT afforded her the opportunity to perform.

Harkness was an interesting case, all I really know about her I learned from the biography of Robert Joffrey and she doesn't come off well. Certainly her break with Joffrey and her ultimate decision to close the Harkness Ballet suggest some one who is more interested in personal gratification than in fowarding either an artist or an art form. Harkness seems like an interesting candidate for a biography.

#18 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 13 July 2001 - 04:38 PM

Perhaps great teachers/ballet mistresses would be worth a separate thread? I think Alexandra recently suggested a book on this topic, and I concur.

A figure about whom I am curious in the post-Diaghilev Ballet Russe saga is Rene Blum. At least one of the Balanchine biographies mentions that Balanchine thought well of him or, at least, thought he was a person of taste, and was unhappy when "Colonel de Basil" took over, and I believe he was a relation (brother or cousin?) of Leon Blum and spent (or ended?) a part of his life in a concentration camp...In short, a ballet patron who lived more or less at the fulcrum of European history in the 30's. I usually hesitate to write when my memory is so absurdly blurry, but would be very pleased to hear from anyone who knows more.

#19 vrsfanatic

vrsfanatic

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 671 posts

Posted 12 July 2001 - 09:18 PM

Mind you I am far from an historian, but could not L. Chase and R. Harkness be considered in this realm? And as far as Foundations go, what about The Ford Foundation?

#20 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 25 September 2002 - 06:10 AM

MacArthur certainly seem to fall into this category with their MacArthur Foundations's Fellowsip awards! Although I just posted this under Links, I felt that many people might not even see it...as not everybody checks them...

Here is a link to the MacArthur Foundation's website: http://www.macfound....002announce.htm

Today the choreographer Liz Lerman, the Director and Founder of Dance Exchange in Tacoma, MD was just awarded a fellowship. She will receive $500,000 over the course of the next five years -with "no strings attached"!

The array of the different kinds recipients is truly astounding.:)

Thank goodness for these patron saints and guardian angels and for their foresight!

P.S. By the way, this is a very interesting thread - so much information from so many.

#21 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 09 October 2002 - 09:33 AM

Along similar lines, there was Ed Sullivan on television. The "dance team of Villella and McBride" made regular appearances on the show, along with many other dancers and singers. Live television was a mixed blessing for the dancers though. Over the years, Villella broke eight of his toes dancing on the cement floors of TV studios.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):