This week's burning question - debuts or experience?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: This week's burning question - debuts or experience? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

This week's burning question - debuts or experience?

1. A talented young dancer debut in a role (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. A talented experienced dancer who's done a role for many years (18 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#16 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 04:27 AM

Having read everyone else's posts and realizing that I've veered off slightly in assuming that the debut might not be as good as the experienced dancer, I'll concur and say that it depends on whether one has seen the experienced dancer before. If not I'd definitely go for the older dancer - you never know when it may be their last. I just missed out on seeing Irek Mukhamedov and having been kicking myself since. The change in artistic directors at the RB has me wondering if I'll ever see Miyako Yoshida and Sarah Wildor's Juliets again.

If I have seen the more experienced dancer in the role before I'd go for the debut...maybe. Again, it may be their one and only shot, who knows?

So nowdays I avoid these choices and see everyone in everything! :)

#17 casloan

casloan

• PipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 08:00 AM

Yikes! This is not only not fair, it's simply impossible to vote! While I might choose a performance specifically in order to see an experienced dancer I love (or even one I only know by reputation), there is nothing quite like the thrill of discovery of a new talent.

Claudia

#18 Lolly

Lolly

• PipPipPip
  • 180 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 04:40 AM

My goodness Sylvia, how can you say Ivan Putrov is sub-standard?!! I'm off to the Giselle topic to explain myself!

Give me the debut any day, you never know what might happen on stage and it might be something quite wonderful... and often is.:)

#19 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 10:25 AM

Now hold on dirac! There'll be no casting of aspersions at 007, I mean, Sean Connery! :)

As for casting my vote, I just can't for - as liebling said - it all depends!

#20 BW

BW

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 03:55 AM

Oh, Leigh! That's not fair!! What if I've never seen the the talented, experienced dancer before?

Have you considered getting a part time job with the IRS - I think they need some help with their forms. ;)

#21 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 01:01 PM

This soon-to-be-70-year-old found Nanatchka's argument so compelling that I'm sorry now I voted for the young whippersnapper making her debut. Wish I could change my vote.

#22 Farrell Fan

Farrell Fan

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,930 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 11:06 AM

I voted for the debutante because I've undoubtedly seen the experienced older dancer many times in the role and am sure to see her (I feel obliged to add him) again. A debut, on the other hand, happens only once.

#23 fondu65

fondu65

• PipPip
  • 27 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 08:38 AM

I agree that the question is a difficult one to answer. I chose the young dancer because seeing the debut performance gives one a benchmark opportunity for watching the dancer mature in the role during future performances.

#24 bobbi

bobbi

• PipPipPip
  • 247 posts

Posted 27 May 2002 - 03:05 PM

A talented young dancer will tempt me to see a program or ballet I wouldn't ordinarily go to see. As a matter of fact, I splurged on a Second Ring ticket this past Saturday matinee just to see Carla Korbes make her debut in Robbins' Interplay. I had remembered her in Midsummer last year, and then she was out for an injury. Although I had spotted her as a member of the corps in Fourth Movement Bizet this season, I wanted to see if my memory of her talent was valid. I wasn't disappointed, and am glad I went out of my way to see her.

On the other hand, as one previous post pointed out, a dancer at the end of her career -- like Kyra Nichols -- will also tempt me. I already have tickets for two Midsummers, but if Kyra is in another, I will buy another ticket for that performance.

#25 smile

smile

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 25 April 2002 - 04:07 PM

Wow. I didn't think that the poll would be 50/50 (that's what it was when i typed this). I voted that I would like to see a talented young dancer do their first big role because they have never done it before. There is a certain spark there. Plus, there's only one time to see a debut principle, you can see established princiles over and over again.
gwschloss

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):