This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

This week's burning question - debuts or experience?

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

Poll: This week's burning question - debuts or experience? (0 member(s) have cast votes)

This week's burning question - debuts or experience?

1. A talented young dancer debut in a role (20 votes [52.63%])

Percentage of vote: 52.63%

2. A talented experienced dancer who's done a role for many years (18 votes [47.37%])

Percentage of vote: 47.37%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 08:48 AM

Isn't that odd? I thought the question was easy and I voted for experience.

Maybe that should read, "Isn't Giannina odd"!

Giannina

#2 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 07:49 PM

Manhattnik, yes, I did. It's the 2nd ballet to which I took Frank and it "took"; he fell in love with Kirkland at that point and it exists to this day. She was simply lovely.

An aside: her get-rid-of-wings-mechanism didn't workand she had one devil of a time getting rid of them.

Giannina

#3 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 04:30 AM

I take a sort of Deweyesque pragmatist view of the question; if you haven't seen the dancer in the role before, then he/she is making a personal debut just for you, so in a larger sense, there are many debuts on any given performance of any ballet.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 12:43 PM

It would make a difference whether or not one had seen the experienced dancer in a role. (And, of course, who the dancers were.)

I do remember 20 years go having a choice between Kirkland's "La Sylphide" and Makarova's and choosing Makarova's because, after all, Kirkland was only 22 and I'd have years and years of watching her dance. So usually, I'd go for the young. HOWEVER, if I had a choice between seeing, say, Kirkland's debut in Theme and Variations or Ulanova's Juliet, I'd take Ulanova. (Not that either of these choices are valid today.)

#5 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,279 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 08:41 PM

I did see Kirkland in "La Sylphide" (I'd seen her before, with Baryshnikov, and loved her). The Kirkland-Makarova choice was a couple of years later.

#6 atm711

atm711

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,431 posts

Posted 08 April 2002 - 09:28 AM

I can never see enough of Ananiashvilli in "Swan Lake" and I go for her every time. However, I'm also happy that I saw the debut of Gillian Murphy last year in "Swan Lake".

#7 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • 25,965 posts

Posted 07 April 2002 - 04:15 PM

I voted for the newbie, being in agreement with casloan and Farrell Fan that it's more of a rarity to see a stunning debut than to see an established dancer (unless there's an extenuating circumstance, such as, the established dancer is retiring at the end of the season).

As for the Sean Connery analogy -- well, I've loved him for years, but couldn't control a certain queasiness watching him flirt with Catherine Zeta-Jones in "Entrapment." I'm afraid even the best of us eventually pass our expiration dates. :)

#8 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 09:02 AM

Or so what'll it be, a blind date or a long term relationship? Even when, as Arlene Croce said of late career Patty McBride, the ballerina is powered "by desire," that's the performance I want to see. As for the gentlemen, I'd rather, to continue on in the same vein, date Sean Connery than Brad Pitt. I admit it's possible that a mother of teenagers might be especially immune to the charms of youth, but we all have our prejudices.

#9 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 11:37 AM

Well, honestly, the best answer is "it depends."

There are certain long-in-the-tooth dancers whom I wouldn't want to see for all the money in the world. And there are certain young whippersnappers I think need to be thrown back in the ocean a few times before they're really ready for the kinds of premieres some of them have been given.

Not wishing to speak ill of the dead, terpsichorically speaking, I won't mention names of any of the former category, and for students of recent New York ballet seasons, it would be absurdly simple to name an appropriately significant example of the latter. One might even say one often sees repeated variations on this recurring theme.

On the other hand, if I were given a choice between going to the State Theater tomorrow night and seeing, say, Kyra Nichols in Mozartiana, and, say, Ashley Bouder in, well, anything, I would be torn, but I'd go for Nichols just because I would like to think we'll have Bouder around for many years to come, clearly we're reaching the twilight of Nichols' career.

#10 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 05:07 PM

So did you ever get to see Kirkland do La Sylphide?

#11 Leigh Witchel

Leigh Witchel

Editorial Advisor

• Editorial Advisor
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,466 posts

Posted 31 March 2002 - 11:49 PM

Here's this week's poll from me! Feel free to discuss as well as answer either/or.

#12 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,796 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 09:14 AM

no i agree, if i had to choose, i would make the same choice

#13 LaFilleMalGardee

LaFilleMalGardee

• PipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 18 May 2002 - 09:44 AM

I picked the talented experienced dancer who's done a role for many years. We're talking about the same role each year???:confused:

#14 leibling

leibling

• PipPipPip
  • 209 posts

Posted 01 April 2002 - 11:23 AM

I can't decide- it depends on who the dancer is in each case.

#15 sylvia

sylvia

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 04 April 2002 - 04:01 AM

Coincidence!! You must have read my mind because I was thinking about posting this question just today, albeit on another board. It's been on my mind having seen the promising young soloist Ivan Putrov make his Royal Ballet debut in Giselle. There's been a lot of grumblings that the RB imports too many guests (Corella, Stiefel) and doesn't make enough use of it's own men. We're a little short of men at the moment, made worse by a load of injuries (only 2 working male principals, and only 1 first soloist who was/is in Japan). Putrov was drafted in as a replacement but I found his Albrecht lacking in depth or expression. If Putrov is the best we've got then I'm quite happy to bring in ABT stars rather than face sub-par performances by soloists. Shouldn't the RB have to meet certain standards? The idea of seeing lots of new faces is very exciting in principle but it's very deflating when you actually get round to seeing them and they're not very good. I said on the RB Giselle thread that even my friends who were watching ballet for the very first time couldn't see why Giselle would fall for him, which is a bit of a gyp. On the other hand I get the impression that the RB are pushing Putrov in a lot of important roles (he understudied for Marguerite and Armand and is the only one of two men cast for Month in the Country) to help improve his expression and on-stage presence and I can't argue with this logic. How can stage-time do anything but help? Plus it IS exciting to watch young artists grow in the roles.

So my answer? I don't know! They have to be ready or else you may be cheating the audience. But maybe dancers rarely give 'complete' performances until they've done it a few times.

Would it be ok if I poached this topic and posted it on the UK boards?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):