This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Tomorrow night at the National Ballet of Heaven, Symphony in C!

Estelle

Since the New Yorkers just got treated to it (and it's become more common with other major companies), be an angel and make your cast at the National Ballet of Heaven. Dancers of the past and present permitted, living or not.

Or be a devil and cast the Sunday matinee Symphony in C at the National Ballet of Hell. And tell us who staged it wink.gif Humor allowed, viciousness discouraged.

I promise not to ask which Martins you meant.

For those wishing to play, mixing and matching eras and companies is allowed. If you want Marie Taglioni to do second movement with Angel Corella, you've got my permission, although I might also suggest you lie down for a while in a darkened room. . .

I wonder which role Marie T herself would want to dance? She was a jumper, so she may take 3rd. Elssler was all small footwork, so she'd be off in a corner pouting and swishing her skirts. Kschessinska would be a shoe-in for 1st movement.

I have many ideal casts for this one -- and have seen several great casts, so I'll have to mull this one over. I'd be happy, when I get to Heaven, to see the first cast of Palais du Crystal.

Or be a devil and cast the Sunday matinee Symphony in C at the National Ballet of Hell.

Due to unforseen circumstances, in this afternoon's performance of Symphony in C the lead in every movement will be danced by Irina Dvorovenko.

Seriously, for a Bizet from Hell, I'll just cast the women, because who cares about the men?

Ok, this might not be a performance from Hell, but it would be very special.

1. Irma Nioradze

2. Irina Dvorovenko

3. Lupe Serrano (with Nureyev -- what the heck)

4. Eleanor d'Antuono

Certainly one of the most unusual perfomances of Symphony in C I've ever seen was the Bolshoi's (two summers ago at NYS). Nina A was 2nd movement, complete with every ballerina mannerism in the book. The corps women looked like they had never heard the name of Balanchine.

Liebs' account goes the question of when is it permissible to dance a work in the company's style rather than the choreographer's; what is the dividing line. The more Balanchine leaves America, the more different he will begin to look, I think.

Leigh, I think Mr. B would have had to have made the fourth movement longer for Fanny smile.gif

Manhattnik, you have just opened a crystal ball to the gala of the future.

I wonder what the premiere of Palais de Cristal looked like. I don't know if Balanchine had had much time to work with the POB dancers, and probably their style then (1947), in the Lifar period, was quite different from that of his own dancers... I have seen both "Palais de cristal" (by the POB) and "Symphony in C" (by the NYCB), but only twice for the former and once for the latter, and if was five or six years apart, so I'd be unable to tell the differences, except the obvious differences of costumes (four coulors vs black and white)- anyway I was delighted in both cases (but I regret not having seen Loudières, Platel or Guérin in it- which movements would have been best suited to them?)

In fact, I think I've seen so little great choreography lately that I'd be happy to see *any* company in "Symphony in C"... (And it seems that the POB prefers to wait until the last living interpret of the first cast is passed away before they consider staging it again. Well, given the present shape of the company, I wonder if they'd have enough real ballerinas for the cast!)

For Hell, I'd have to go with Manhattnik initial comment. Dvorovenko's 1st mov't was a revelation for me in a not good way. I finally understood what it would mean to say that there was too much Dvorovenko and not enough Balanchine.

For Heaven... having only seen dancers of the last 11 years and mostly at NYCB...

1st: Somogyi (she was a revelation in this part, for me, in the good way). I don't care about the male.

2nd: Kistler, Martins (not that I ever saw him dance)

3rd: Bouder (though she'll do a stunning 1st mov't, as well, at some point), Stiefel

4th: Ringer, Evans

Then, we have my favorite females all taken care of. My reasons for not putting Ringer in 1st mov't will come in my elaborated comments on NYCB Winter Season 2002 Week 1 elsewhere.

I think I would like to see the original cast:

Maria Tallchief, Tanaquil LeClerq, Beatrice Tompkins, Elise Reiman, Nicholas Maggalanes, Francisco Moncion, Herbert Bliss, and Lew Christensen.

Otherwise, I'd like Merrill Ashley with Eddie Villella, Suzanne Farrell with Jacques D'Amboise, Maria Calegari with Bart Cook,and Wendy Whelan with Sean Lavery. .

Alternately, Violette Verdy with Peter Boal, Kyra Nichols with Peter Martins, Melissa Hayden with Ib Andersen, and Patty McBride with Jean-Pierre Bonnefous.

Now if you really want to make it heaven, just take the casts and do Liebeslieder instead.

PS I kept on thinking about this last night, and I think I really have it this tmie:

1. Maria Tallchief

2. Tanaquil LeClerq

3. Tamara Geva

4. Vera Zorina

Alternates: for 1, 3, 4: Mme. Alexandra Danilova. For 2: Suzanne Farrell and Karin Von Aroldingen.

The first cast is variously partnered by Balanchine at the age he was married to each of them . Danilova dances with him at the time they were with Diagaliev. Farrell dances with him at the age he made Don Q., and Von Aroldingen dances with him at the time he made Davidsbuntlertanze....I would have proceeded chronologically, but I wanted to see Tanny in her original role.

It's a shame Balanchine's consorts were so good natured (there is the story of the wives and lovers all calmly lined up at the barre one day, taking class. . .)

I was trying to figure out a National Ballet of Hell Cast which was X's ex with Y's paramour - the sort of cast which reminded me of a cocktail party told of in a story where the man and his wife invited found himself there with two previous mistresses one of whom muttered "Quelle salade." I invite anyone to create the "Quelle salade" cast. I'd also like to see the "Next on Jerry Springer, Symphony in C!" cast should anyone have the perversity to offer it. (2nd Movement, Woetzel and Weese!)

I don't think even Balanchine would go so far as to cast von Aroldingen in the second movement -- or did he?

(Also, I wonder if the amiable relations among his spouses and exes is really attributable to good nature, or the possibility that Balanchine just wasn't the kind of consort women were inclined to engage in fisticuffs over? Tallchief's memoir didn't make him sound like Mr. Romantic.)

I second the Heavenly vote for the original cast of "Le Palais" in Paris. Just to see what it looked like.