Balanchine's Muse

• Please log in to reply
62 replies to this topic

#61 pumukau

pumukau

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 01 November 2002 - 03:09 PM

Here's a game: which ballets are the most explicit messages from Mr. B to his muses? Certainly Don Quixote when he felt too old to be with Farrell, similarly Midsummer Night's dream. Tzigane when she came back from exile (you gypsy!... the first time whe wore red on stage). These just off the top of my head.

I have read that his creative flourish right after there was no more hope that Le Clerq would dance again changed the whole relationship between men and women in his ballets.

#62 pumukau

pumukau

• PipPip
  • 23 posts

Posted 02 November 2002 - 09:59 PM

Amy wrote"; (I assume one can have a male muse?)

Interesting. Nijinsky/Diaghilev for example?

#63 emhbunhead

emhbunhead

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 05 November 2002 - 03:12 PM

i dont feel that the Whelan prototype is taking over city ballet... i think if anything the women are more varied in body types than they have been in the past 2 decades. maria kowroski ( LOVE HER ) is 6 foot on pointe, while ashley bouder is shorter than me at 5'4.... one is long and lanky the other is shorter and has powerful legs. (nowonder she can jump so darn well) most of the girls i went to school with that are now in the corps are fairly short.... but they arent as small as wendy.... shes just one of a kind!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):