This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Do you cry at the ballet?

• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#16 E Johnson

E Johnson

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 25 February 2002 - 02:13 PM

Serenade, always, although not always at the same point.
This Saturday afternoon at NYCB it happened during Firebird, when the curtains opened for that final beautiful wedding tableau.

#17 colwill

colwill

• PipPip
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 11:18 AM

Frequently!

Every time the veil is lifted off Nikiya by the Brahman in Bayadere.
It happened again last night in the Royal Ballet performance of Bayadere with Alina Cojocaru.

Following a performance of Swan Lake with Altynia Asylmuratova I wept for over an hour after the final curtain.

#18 linsusanr

linsusanr

• PipPip
  • 52 posts

Posted 27 February 2002 - 12:42 PM

Of course I cry! Some scenes are obvious, like Giselle's mad/death scene, Albrecht dragging himself desperately around her grave, any performance of the Dying Swan.

It seems like sometimes I get teary at the most random moments! The end of the Rose Adagio, when Aurora makes her sweeping low bow, makes me feel so relieved for her and so happy. Any part of The Man I Love from Balanchine's Who Cares always gets me, especially when Robert LaFosse danced it with Viviana Durante at the Balanchine Celebration. He really looks smitten the whole time!

One big one is from Swan Lake, when the Prince meets Odette and finally puts his arms around her and she looks so scared and frail. The best part is where she starts the frantic little bourrees in place, it always tears me apart. <sniff>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):