21 replies to this topic

#16 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:08 AM

I feel I must pop in here. I'm sorry if you were offended, but I think that is a misreading of what Ed wrote, and a misreading of Ed, who is a long time member of this board and would not knowingly offend a fruit fly (no offense, of course, to fruit flies). He doesn't like "Lord of the Dance"-type shows and he won't have them in his imaginary theater. That's his right. This isn't an attack on the Irish nation. If someone said they didn't want Russian ballet in their theater would that raise a furor? Or if someone had just seen a night of a Bournonville ballet and hated it, would saying "I'll never go to see anything with 'Danish' in the title again?" be seen as offensive?

We cannot have a discussion group if everyone is constantly worrying if something they say or any time they mention a particular country or group, or age or gender, may possibly offend someone, and while we strive very hard to have a pleasant, civil board, and everyone who posts should keep in mind that there are people from many nations, ages, races and genders who read the board, I do not want to enforce extreme political correctness.

I would suggest in the future that if a remark you read here is "offensive" that you PM the person and keep your objections private. If anyone has a problem with this policy, or would like to make further comments, please feel free to email me: at@balletalert.com

Please return this thread to the topic smile.gif

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: alexandra ]

#17 Natalia

Natalia

Rubies Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,366 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 11:21 AM

First, I would hire a complete company of dancers and repetiteurs to be schooled in the correct manner of dancing the works that comprise the repertoire of the Diaghilev Era (Fokine, Massine, Nijinsky, Nijinska, early-Balanchine, etc. ballets). I would then hold a Diaghilev Festival once a year in Washington, DC (of course), in which each and every Diaghilev-era ballet would be performed in proper steps, complete music & the authentic Bakst/Benois, etc. designs! The ballets would be performed in chrornological order, similar to the way that the 1993 Balanchine Celebration at NYCB was run, when every Balanchine opus in the NYCB rep was performed in more-or-less chron order. So my 'New Diaghilev Ballet' would debut with 'Pavillon d'Armide' (which exists in the Nikita Dolgushin reconstruction, by the way...Dolgushin would be my artistic director, incidentally. Andris Liepa chief repetiteur. Male lead - today's Nijinsky: Nikolai Tsiskaridze. Prima ballerina assoluta? You can guess that one! smile.gif )!

[ February 20, 2002: Message edited by: Jeannie ]

#18 Henrik

Henrik

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 04:32 PM

If Id win big in a lottery, I think (after bying me a maserati, a Jaguar and maybe a ferrari) most of my moneys were needed to fullfill Alexandras project! And maybe some dollars to the starving kids in africa... but not so big amounts that it would affect the finishing of "Project Alexandra - world domination" smile.gif

#19 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,234 posts

Posted 20 February 2002 - 06:25 PM

World domination -- not so!! You'll notice I've only staked out the stuff nobody else seems to want. smile.gif

These are all wonderful ideas. We must start buying lottery tickets in earnest!

#20 cargill

cargill

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 636 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 09:27 AM

About making people who mess with Swan Lake regret it, I was actually thinking about starting with Gorky, and eliminating all elements of the jester, and realism and Freud. There are so many bad Swan Lakes around (I can't think of a good one left), that it would probably take all my money!

#21 Nanatchka

Nanatchka

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 374 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 04:30 PM

[quote]Originally posted by cargill:
...eliminating all elements of the jester...

We can dream can't we?

#22 Henrik

Henrik

• PipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 21 February 2002 - 05:36 PM

Swan lake and the Nutcracker should be sacred! Id think Id use some of my moneys to create an own group of people, whoms task was to aprove all Swan lakes and Nutcrackers smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):