This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Which tutu do you want?

We're awash in color and lilacs down here in D.C. at the moment, and I wondered what people would vote as their favorite tutu? Whether it's one you'd want to wear, or just like to see hanging on the wall?

I've been dithering between Gold Fairy, which bounces nicely and has a matching gold cap, and Princess Florine's striped number. (I doubt anyone could get Lilac to part with her shoes, wands and staffs.)

I vote for that maverick, Fairy Violente, who has the audacity to be more 'Canari-ish' than Fairy Canari. Violente wears a canary-yellow tutu with black polka dots & a black appliqued salamander-lizard above her left breast. Dancer Irina Zhelonkina wears it quite well.

With this tutu, I would get the added bonus of two male attendants wearing canary-yellow unitards with black fringe around their hips. smile.gif

No, Helena, there are also black wings to match.

I had such fun in the audience last night......I think the production is wonderful in its panoply of colour.....alas, I don't have a favourite tutu. The Sapphire Fairy is lovely in the richness of colour and restraint of ornamentation, the Diamond Fairy crown is magnificent.....the Canari Fairy tutu looks like a picnic basket, but truly, the Lilac Fairy second act costume (vaguely Grecian silk chiffon with periwinkle Louis-heeled slippers), complete with accompanying feather-tipped staff is beyond wonderful. I remember when I first saw the earlier Kirov SB with Makhalina in that flowing lilac costume and it was such a beautiful look.....this is fuller, more period, but altogether wonderful, although not a tutu.

Still sorely disappointed in the wedding purple and gold Aurora costume....I don't know if it is the fabric choices or ornamentation (I suspect both) but it resembles something bought from a catalog and tarted up at home for a recital the next afternoon. Sigh. . .