This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Please, please, Mr. Vilar

Oh, Alexandra, what a great idea.....

at the risk of seeming too greedy, though, couldn't we just ask for a Balanchine Centenary and not put any company/casting/coaching restrictions on our request? You can certainly say that as loyal balletomanes, we all have *plenty* of opinions!

If it's Vilar, it is the Kirov. Although, I suppose, that by funding improvements to the Royal Opera House & Kennedy Center buildings, Vilar is indirectly benifitting all troupes that play those houses, too.

Who are the 'company angels' of NYCB & POB, at present? Do those two companies have their own Vilars...or just large groups of 'Baby Vilars'?

Ah, but with my hat trick, Vilar could spread his angel wings and benefit ballet as a whole smile.gif

I'm all for a Balanchine Celebration, Juliet. All the ballets, revivals of lost ones, films, videos, chats with ballerinas. But I still want to see "Jewels" danced in the native language of the music smile.gif

You may not care whether Vilar likes or dislikes something, but I'm quite sure he does. I know that he states vigorously he gives without strings, but nonetheless, I see his giving as being very, very directed. Fine and dandy, it's his money, but we get what he wants to see, and if he ain't interested, the checkbook does not come out.

Ann Bass is a bit of a 'company angel' for NYCB. More so Irene Diamond, but she's more involved with new works, or maybe that's where she has been directed. I'd certainly give money to a NYCB fund that is for reviving old or lost works.

Is the Vilar's donation for the Kirov Opera to come for 10 straight years as well? If so, I guess you could say that the ballet comes as a by-product of the Opera and Orchestra visits. Just as well. Vilar also is on the board of the "White Nights Festival."