This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

Chicago the Movie

• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#61 Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:34 PM

Mary Cargill interviewed Shelkanova for Ballet Alert! a year or two ago -- she had quite a story. (I was interested in her dancing, too, and, like Manhattnik, admired her in "Lilac Garden.") Mary, correct me if I'm misremembering, but she left the Kirov and lived in New York -- waiting tables. Had no hope of a dance career. But she would take class, and Baryshnikov saw her in class and encouraged her to dance again. I've always felt ABT would be a more interesting company if it used dancers like Shelkanova in solo roles -- and quite possibly ballerina roles -- than constantly looking for Whiz Kids. I was sorry she left.

#62 dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 28,038 posts

Posted 21 April 2003 - 09:12 AM

If memory serves, the film credits spelled the name as Ekaterina Chtchelkanova.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):