• Please log in to reply
61 replies to this topic

#46 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 27 March 2003 - 03:35 AM

sorry, what I meant was I'd rather pay to see the movie, I liked it better than the play :D

#47 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 29 March 2003 - 07:07 PM

Adored it the 2nd time around (today).

Zellweger was robbed.

#48 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 04:39 AM

I think Zellweger not singing at the Oscars confirmed that she had a lot of help in the studio.
If anyone got robbed, it was Julianne Moore. And Gere for not getting nominated.

#49 glebb

glebb

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 807 posts

Posted 30 March 2003 - 06:01 AM

I loved Julianne Moore, especially in "Far From Heaven", but she and Nicole Kidman (whom I think is one of the great beauties of the screen and one of the best behaved actresses in public) had costumes to work with. Meryl was the real, naked actress in "The Hours".

#50 dirac

dirac

Diamonds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 24,892 posts

Posted 31 March 2003 - 02:00 PM

I agree with you wholeheartedly, glebb, and refer you to our Oscars thread, but again I must remind everyone to Stay on Topic Course. Thanks to all!

#51 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 12:44 PM

I don't think it's been mentionned before, but one of the girls was at the Paris Opera Ballet School a few years ago (she ended the course in 1996). It's the one who does an arabesque at the beginning (well, when she arrives in jail and six of them sing and dance one by one to present themselves, I can't remember the name of the song). It's not really surprising, but it's still funny, if you see what I mean. I wonder why she stopped ballet. Or maybe she didn't. Does any one know if she dances in the US? Her name is Nathalie Chtcherbakova.

#52 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 19 April 2003 - 02:09 PM

Wow, that's the third variation I've seen of her name. The song is the "Cell Block Tango," and she plays the Hunyak. Sorry, I don't know anything about her.

#53 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 01:52 AM

I suppose it's like Nureyev, it depends on which language you speak (in french it's Noureev, for example, and I've also seen it with an "i" instead of the "y", and many other ways too). The spelling I used was the one in the Paris Opera program for the Ballet School performance in 1996, and I'm pretty sure that was also the one I saw in the credits (I saw the movie in english, but since the credits were in french too...).

#54 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 03:14 AM

She's spelled her name both
Ekaterina Chtchelkanova and Ekaterina Schelkanova. Born in Russia. (she took some slack for the Hungarian as, apparently, a few words were mispronounced-who notices these things?)

She was in Center Stage (as one of the Swan Lake soloists) and on Broadway, briefly in "Movin Out"

She was with the Kirov from 88-92 an from 93-95 she was at ABT

hopefully that helps clarify who she is.

#55 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 05:57 AM

Shelkanova was with ABT as recently as 1999 or 2000. She was quite memorable in the lead of Lilac Garden, I thought. I miss her, but it seems McKenzie is more interested in whiz-bang bottle-rockets these days.

#56 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 06:00 AM

Thank you very much Calliope, but are you really sure it's the same, because there is quite a difference between "Nathalie Chtcherbakova " and "Ekaterina Chtchelkanova" (more than between "Nureyev" and "Noureev"). It's not even the same first name! Unless I got it wrong the first time (in the movie, because I'm sure about what's in the program), which is very possible! That must be it, I must have forgotten her first name, and thought I recognised her surname (I got all the vowels OK, and confused a few consonnants!;) ). Sorry about that, I was wrong since the beginning.

#57 Old Fashioned

Old Fashioned

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 596 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 08:21 AM

In the movie soundtrack it lists her as Ekaterina Chtchelkanova.

#58 Calliope

Calliope

Gold Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 805 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 10:31 AM

yes, you can look her up on www.imdb.com for her film listings.
I don't know where Nathalie has come from?

#59 su-lian

su-lian

• PipPipPip
  • 147 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 12:31 PM

Yes, after this, I thought I had got it wrong. Nathalie just comes here out of a mistake I made! I confused the two, sorry! Nathalie was at the Paris Opera Ballet school, but I don't know what she does now.

#60 Drew

Drew

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,210 posts

Posted 20 April 2003 - 06:46 PM

I don't know who was in Chicago (which I haven't seen) but Shelkanova was one of the soloists I most looked forward to seeing at ABT. I was quite sorry when she left the company...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):