This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

I don't think it's been mentionned before, but one of the girls was at the Paris Opera Ballet School a few years ago (she ended the course in 1996). It's the one who does an arabesque at the beginning (well, when she arrives in jail and six of them sing and dance one by one to present themselves, I can't remember the name of the song). It's not really surprising, but it's still funny, if you see what I mean. I wonder why she stopped ballet. Or maybe she didn't. Does any one know if she dances in the US? Her name is Nathalie Chtcherbakova.

I suppose it's like Nureyev, it depends on which language you speak (in french it's Noureev, for example, and I've also seen it with an "i" instead of the "y", and many other ways too). The spelling I used was the one in the Paris Opera program for the Ballet School performance in 1996, and I'm pretty sure that was also the one I saw in the credits (I saw the movie in english, but since the credits were in french too...).

She's spelled her name both

Ekaterina Chtchelkanova and Ekaterina Schelkanova. Born in Russia. (she took some slack for the Hungarian as, apparently, a few words were mispronounced-who notices these things?)

She was in Center Stage (as one of the Swan Lake soloists) and on Broadway, briefly in "Movin Out"

She was with the Kirov from 88-92 an from 93-95 she was at ABT

hopefully that helps clarify who she is.

Thank you very much Calliope, but are you really sure it's the same, because there is quite a difference between "Nathalie Chtcherbakova " and "Ekaterina Chtchelkanova" (more than between "Nureyev" and "Noureev"). It's not even the same first name! Unless I got it wrong the first time (in the movie, because I'm sure about what's in the program), which is very possible! That must be it, I must have forgotten her first name, and thought I recognised her surname (I got all the vowels OK, and confused a few consonnants!;) ). Sorry about that, I was wrong since the beginning.

Mary Cargill interviewed Shelkanova for Ballet Alert! a year or two ago -- she had quite a story. (I was interested in her dancing, too, and, like Manhattnik, admired her in "Lilac Garden.") Mary, correct me if I'm misremembering, but she left the Kirov and lived in New York -- waiting tables. Had no hope of a dance career. But she would take class, and Baryshnikov saw her in class and encouraged her to dance again. I've always felt ABT would be a more interesting company if it used dancers like Shelkanova in solo roles -- and quite possibly ballerina roles -- than constantly looking for Whiz Kids. I was sorry she left.