• Please log in to reply
36 replies to this topic

#31 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,730 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 05:21 AM

i was told that balanchine told the dancers that for the last performance of PAMTGG they should wear whatever they wanted to!

#32 Dale

Dale

Emeralds Circle

• Board Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,042 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 05:41 AM

Under the guidelines, add my vote for Pied Piper. It was a complete waste of talent, IMO, and failed on every level except the dancing. In addition, I believe it played a great part in taking down a main component of the administration.

Possibly Snow Maiden -- I did think there were a few redeemable qualities but it cost a lot of money, the choreography was really thin and was never seen after its first season at ABT. Maybe somebody in Houston can tell me if it has had more of a life span at Houston Ballet.

Thank you RG for your view on PAMGG. It has a strange history in the mind of some critics. If I remember correctly from my readings, when it first appeared it was pointed to as proof that Balanchine had lost his touch after Farrell left and that Robbins was now the NYCB's best choreographer. After the Stravinsky Festival of '72, historians looked at the ballet again and saw that perhaps Mr. B used it as a laboratory for some of the things he developed to fruition in Symphony in Three Movements and Violine Concerto. Not having seen the work, I'm not sure. But I remember reading an interview with Diana Adams in which she said things like Electronics and Opus were experiements for later works that were considered masterpieces.

#33 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 09:52 AM

Experiments for later masterpieces? Well, maybe, but "those who enjoy sausages ought not to watch them being made." wink.gif

#34 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 10:25 AM

Mme. Hermine, I heard the same thing about the last PAMTGG from someone who danced in it. Patricia MacBride alludes to it in I Remember Balanchine, saying you knew a ballet was history when he told you to wear anything you wanted.

#35 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 570 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 06:33 PM

Ek's Giselle and Sleeping Beauty - not even turkeys - rather ostriches or what have you. Beats the lot, I think, though I havent seen many of the works other posters have offered as pure turkey. Those two are my turkeys anyway. And if I can possibly help it, I will never see them again.

#36 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 25 November 2001 - 08:47 PM

What's really driving me crazy is I DID see PAMTGG as a kid, and I remember nothing about it.

#37 felursus

felursus

Bronze Circle

• PipPipPipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 26 November 2001 - 02:38 AM

Amen to Mayerling, Martin's Swan Lake, and Edward II. I'd like to add votes for "Paradise Lost" (I remember telling someone that I might have seen a worse ballet somewhere, but I just couldn't remember where...) and Neumeier's "The Martyrdom of St. Sebastian" - I think it MAY even surpass Edward II in sheer awfulness. Also, being prejudiced, I'd like to add anything by Pina Bausch - but none of her stuff fits Alexandra's definition of a turkey.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):