36 replies to this topic

#1 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,242 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 11:17 AM

When I did a weekly quiz, Ballet Turkeys was the Thanksgiving offering. I thought I'd revive the thought this year.

What ballets have you seen that would qualify as gen-u-ine ballet turkeys? No pardons possible, gobble gobble?

#2 Victoria Leigh

Victoria Leigh

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 603 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 11:29 AM

ABT's Nuts and Martin's Swan Lake frown.gif There are, unfortunately lots of others whose titles I don't even remember because the ballets were not worth remembering, but these two are the biggest disasters I have ever seen.

#3 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 12:28 PM

ABT's Swan Lake
NYCB's Swan Lake
NYCB's Persephone
turkey i wish i had seen:
PAMTGG

#4 julip

julip

• PipPip
  • 68 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 12:39 PM

i would nominate kent stowell's carmina burana. now there is a work that stuffs itself full of grandur and self-importance, but it comes out leaving a bad taste in your mouth...not to mention heartburn.

#5 Giannina

Giannina

Gold Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 844 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 12:41 PM

Guillem's "Giselle".

Giannina

(The 3-G post!!)

#6 Estelle

Estelle

Platinum Circle

• Foreign Correspondent
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,706 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 05:16 PM

Just a question from a non-native speaker: does it just mean an especially bad ballet, or does it have to have other characteristics?

#7 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 05:33 PM

how could i forget! the biggest turkey i ever saw. no disrespect to ruth page, but it came from her (she did quite a respectable nutcracker and a lot of others that were okay too).
but*****
her 'alice in wonderland' takes the cake.
let's see what do i remember:
in the first act it was basically the right story except:
alice looks at the looking glass and says (there were actors in the pit) "i look so funny! i look so fat! i'm not fat!" and goes to another mirror and says "i like this one much better, i look soooo slender!".
alice goes to the garden. the flowers dance to the 'voices of spring' waltz. at the salient points in the waltz, operatic singers in the pit chime in.
after the flowers have danced alice says "oh how pretty you all are and how sweet you smell! i wish flowers could talk!" whereupon the flowers get up and chase alice away, all the while twittering "we CAN talk!"
the flowers are all sorts but the lead dancer is (appropriately costumed) the 'pink petunia'.
the red queen and white queen do 'battle' to the strains of the jazzed-up version of beethoven's 5th symphony. (this is not in order)
the duchess with the cook that puts pepper over everything has a cook who wears pointe shoes (and is a man). they dance to the strains of a scott joplin rag.
tweedledum and tweedledee dance to the song 'pretty baby' and do a soft-shoe.
somewhere in the scene with the lobster quadrille and a bunch of other things there is the music (i don't recall its real name) of the theme song from 'the lone ranger'.
then in the second act! (i'm not recalling everything you understand)
alice goes into outer space and meets the signs of the zodiac, has a romantic pas de deux with an astronaut to the strains of the 'melody in f' !

how many composers is that so far? and that's all i can remember (this was 25 years ago).
how's that?

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Mme. Hermine ]

[ November 22, 2001: Message edited by: Mme. Hermine ]

#8 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 22 November 2001 - 09:27 PM

Estelle, in American show business slang, a "turkey" is a bad show, and preferably one that's big, overblown, and pretentious. Isn't there a farce entitled Georges Dindon? I think the French equivalent of the word in slang is "four".

#9 Yvonne

Yvonne

• PipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 01:05 AM

"The Merry Widow" (Ruth Page version).......(I'll award it 8 "turkeys" out of a possible 10) rolleyes.gif

#10 BalletNut

BalletNut

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 573 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 01:54 AM

Amen to Martins' Swan Lake, whose costumes and scenery are turkey enough without even taking the choreography into consideration. eek.gif

Helgi Tomasson's choreography for SFB's Romeo and Juliet is another turkey worth mentioning.

Can't leave out Mayerling, which includes everything, it seems, except dancing.

[ November 23, 2001: Message edited by: BalletNut ]

#11 Nora

Nora

• PipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 02:05 AM

Please forgive my ignorance, but what is PAMTGG?

#12 Mme. Hermine

Mme. Hermine

Emeralds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,707 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 05:36 AM

1971 ballet by balanchine named after a commercial jingle ("Pan Am Makes The Going Great").

#13 bobsey

bobsey

• PipPip
  • 38 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 07:31 AM

ABT's Pied Piper gets my vote

#14 Manhattnik

Manhattnik

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 847 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 08:47 AM

Turkeys? There are so many to choose from.

Eliot Feld's Organon at NYC is certainly monumental enough to qualify, and heads my list right now. But his Felix, a nightmare to Mendelsohn, really defies description. What can you say about a ballet in which a major part of the choreography is enacted by an enormous octopus' tentacle?

I would frankly put both the recent Swan Lakes, both Martins' and McKenzie's, on the turkey list. I can even picture the Swamp-Thing Von Rothbart from McKenzie's SL holding an "Odette-turned-into-a-turkey" instead of the usual goose, in honor of the season.What, that's supposed to be a swan he's holding?

Oh, yeah, and McK's Nutcracker. What was he thinking?

I'm sorry I missed Pied Piper, although not very sorry.

If I had to only pick one MacMillan work, it would be hard to top his Isadora! Don't think we'll see that one revived anytime soon.

Balanchine stinkers? Well, PAMTGG. I'd like to see it revived just for the sheer perversity of it all. And I don't think we'll see Gaspard de la Nuit again, either. I don't know if either really qualifies as a turkey, as neither was a monumental effort.

David Bintley's Edward II will have a special place of honor in the list of turkeys for its many innovations, particularly the subtle use of urination, the novel pas de trois for a man, a woman, and a severed head, and its presentation of an unusual, although highly effective, cure for constipation.

Bejart? Like shooting fish in a barrel. Although this wasn't a big-budget turkey, I would elevate his own Isadora to the turkey list simply because of its sheer waste of a great resource. I'm not sure whether you'd consider his use of Maya Plisetskaya as Isadora to be either horrible casting or wretched misuse of emploi (or both), but you do have to admire his chutzpah for having the famous, unfettered, barefoot modern dancer portrayed by a ballerina who never removes her ballet slippers. I'd have given him extra points had he had the nerve to put her in pointe shoes!

Eifman? Well, I know some people are fond of him. I will just say that his Tchaikovsky and Red Giselle are both very special.

#15 Autumn7

Autumn7

• PipPip
  • 32 posts

Posted 23 November 2001 - 09:21 AM

Houston Ballet's 'Dracula' - Not even Carlos Acosta's dancing could save that one!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):