This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Snowballs!

I think they are really, really interesting.

Not what I would like to make, but perhaps they are effective on stage.

Someday certain designers are going to learn that what is good design for fashion, or visually arresting is not necessarily what is good for dance design.

Here is the next step from the Dancing Hostess Cupcakes of SFB's Paquita--the Danish Snowballs. Now I just have to wait for the Twinkies....I hope that Hostess is handsomely subsidizing these costumes.

I really meant it when I said striking -- I agree, Juliet. This is one example, for me, of thinking that a design is good -- or at least interesting, and certainly professional -- without liking it. But it made me interested to see how they'd look MOVING -- and they might move very well.

I think they reflect the designer's idea (which, of course, I think is wrongheaded, but reflects a certain European take on things) that Nutcracker is without redeeming value, a stupid children's show with stupid stupid dancing in it, so we have to make it Dark, make it Meaningful, make it Now. (I read the program notes.) And, of course, still lure in the kiddies and make lots and lots of money. So the frigid atmosphere of that scene would suit the production, and is quite Nordic.

I'm with Juliet about liking them but not wanting to make them (that's so darn funny, Juliet!) and Alexandra in wanting to see them move. I really like it. Of course this could be because I'm in the midst of my yearly tape/DVD Nutcracker marathon and I'm slightly blotto.

Giannina

I thought the Royal Danish Nutcracker had been choreographed by Ratmansky who recently did Cinderella at the Marinsky. I've seen an extract from that and another pas de deux that he did. Those costumes look weird, But Ratmansky is a serious choreographer, whether or not one likes his work. He was the guy who pulled out of the Kirov Nutcracker over disagreements with the designer, who insisted on putting the snowflakes into black! Perhaps this was a reaction.

Yes, Alymer, Ratmansky did do the choreography. He was brought in at the last minute, after former Artistic Director of the RDB, Aage Thordal Christensen, pulled out. This means he did the dances. The CONCEPT (and design) was Mickael Melbye's :) A very polite interview in the program book gave hints of perhaps a clash of visions :)

Here's a link to a page on the RDB web site with two tiny trailers of dancing from the production:

http://www.kgl-teater.dk/dkt2002/ballet/frame.htm

Actually, the designs for Tomasson's Swan Lake are by Jens-Jacob Worsaae, not by Mikael Melbye. Melbye did the designs for Tomasson's Giselle, which is, believe it or not, somewhat attractive, or would be save for Berthe's cardboard-box-looking hat...then again, it's entirely possible he is capable of doing decent costumes for traditional ballet productions, which Tomasson's Giselle is, more or less, and Ratmansky's Nutcracker is not...

BLACK snowflakes, eh? Perhaps Shemyakin wanted to show that snow as it looks three days later, all dirtied from the cars driving over it. :eek:

But look what we have now! Danish Snowballs, SF's Hostess Paquita costumes, Juliet's proposed Twinkies...I can design some Dancing Ho-Ho costumes, and we'll have ourselves a Nutcracker for the New Millennium!!!

I'm going to shut up now.

Erm, BalletNut?

I've just received two Private Messages. The first is From Continental Baking (A Subsidiary of Interstate Brands) asking you to cease and desist from using their trademarks.

The other is from the Food and Drug Administration asking you to provide a nutritional analysis in triplicate for any and all proposed ballets.

No, no, don't shut up! :) I think the Fast Food Nutcracker is just the thing for the new Millennium. Clara and the Little Prince sled through the Golden Arches, and every audience member gets a Happy Meal.

Ballet Nut -- of course, you're right about the designer -- Melbye did do "Giselle" not "Swan Lake." That was a thinko :)

Now you all don't forget that this is going to be a singularly American Nutcracker....ENB did some delicious Licorice Allsorts costumes for their production recently, if I am not mistaken......I don't want to poach on someone else's territory....

I can just see the little CrackerJack Kids coming out from a big box.....or maybe they can all be the little prizes coming out from the Great CrackerJack....

we can have the little French Fries, the little Moon Pies, the little Uncle Leo's Peppermint Sticks, the battle between the Chili Dogs and the Sauerkratut/Kielbasa forces....

fiinishing with the cotton candy and sno-cone waltz.....

It will be Boardwalk Nutcracker!!!!!

(What do you mean I'm off-topic???

Oh.....alright.....

Back to hemming a Drosselmeyer cape that is three miles long....

;)

i realise i'm coming in late, but i think they're lovely.

like alexandra and giannina, though, i find it hard to imagine them in flight.

i also think they would be hard to dance in, ruling out (as they seem to) the possibility of 'using' the arms to help you to do anything.

As an idea these costumes are intriguing. They certainly evoke snowballs. I can't help but wonder (before watching the trailer) about losing the line of those lovely torsos, though. I imagine that the legs look cut off from everything else.

I like the backdrop. It reminds me of the one for the posthumous staging of Balanchine's Swan. So, with that in mind, black snowflakes would make perfect sense!;)

Sometimes I think that the distinction between "different" and "good" is lost.:(