This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

BARBIE'S NUTCRACKER

I have a confession to make...I went out and bought the Barbie 'Nutcracker'video featuring dancers from the New York City Ballet. I read a piece in the Sunday newspaper supplement 'Parade'

on Maria Kowroski, and she told how she was the model for the animated Barbie's dancing in the video. Now, I was in the same company as Maria for 10 years or so (Grand Rapids Ballet in Grand Rapids, MI)and have not seen her dance since she left at age 16 to join SAB, so I jumped at the chance to see her 'dance', even if only in a cartoon! Am I wierd or what! In case you're wondering...the video is not that great. If you squint your eyes you could possibly imagine that the movements were taken from an actual, real life dancer, but the producers stay true to Barbie form--her arms do not straighten from the elbow. However 'Barbie's' extensions are up-to-there, so that is pretty true to life....Someday I will not be a starving college student and will be able to see Maria perform with NYCB instead of having to rely on a reasonable facsimile of her talent

Guest BA2's Mom

I read an article several months back that said they anticiapate Nutcracker live performance sales to be down this year. The article went on to say that Parents' would be Nutcracker'd out from listening/watching the movie over and over again, as most little girls do!

I called GR Ballet and they confirmed that she will be performimg Sugar Plum/Snow Queen Dec. 21-23. I just happen to be flying home to GR on Dec. 22, so I can make the evening performance. Thanks again Leigh for the insider tip.

I just wanted to say that I watched the broadcast of Barbie in the Nutcracker this past weekend, and I enjoyed it. It was especially neat since I am currently dancing snow and flowers in my school's production. I really wish that they had incorporated more dancing, but the pas de deux at the end made it all worth it for me smile.gif

On Thanksgiving Day last week my sister and I watched it together after the parade. Personally, we both hated it. It made me mad how they did not stay true to the story and I thought the dancing aspect was quite bad. But I suppose that if little children like it then it cant be all bad.