This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

What Nutcrackers are you seeing?

• Please log in to reply
65 replies to this topic

#61 Mashinka

Mashinka

Platinum Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,196 posts

Posted 29 November 2010 - 02:27 AM

I plan on seeing the new Nutcracker production by Wayne Eagling for English National Ballet that replaces a version that was pretty much detested by all. The cast I will aim for is the one headed by Elena Glurjidze, a true ballerina of astonishing gifts and a Kirov trained dancer that never got to dance with the Kirov, which goes to show just how ropey the selection process in St Petersburg has become.

#62 E Johnson

E Johnson

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 07:46 AM

NYCB Nut on Xmas eve, as seems to be becoming our family tradition.

#63 cubanmiamiboy

cubanmiamiboy

Diamonds Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,269 posts

Posted 30 November 2010 - 11:31 AM

In order of priority...

Miami City Ballet

Cuban Classical Ballet of Miami

Florida Classical Ballet

Arts Ballet Theater of Florida

Ballet Etudes

Miami Youth Ballet

Saint Petersburg Classic Russian Ballet

...yes...my own Nutcrackthon...!! :lol:

...AND...in a very interesting twist, on Sunday I just happened to bike by the Fillmore Theater on my way home from the beach, and voila...I discovered that there's also this Company... Kirova Ballet -(no relation to the Kirov, BTW...this is the AD's last name)-which will be doing the Nutcracker and bringing Veronika Part to dance the lead. So of course...I'm going...!
:thumbsup:

#64 puppytreats

puppytreats

Gold Circle

• Inactive Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:27 AM

My niece will visit New York this Christmas and wants to see the "Nutcracker." Which New York company offers the best version for a 6 year old who has no ballet experience? I have never been a fan of this ballet, but I am going to give it a second chance for the sake of my niece.

#65 abatt

abatt

Sapphire Circle

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,757 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:29 AM

My niece will visit New York this Christmas and wants to see the "Nutcracker." Which New York company offers the best version for a 6 year old who has no ballet experience? I have never been a fan of this ballet, but I am going to give it a second chance for the sake of my niece.

I would say the NYCB version. It's a classic. Based on the prices they are charging for rep, I'm sure the prices for Nutcracker this year will be through the roof.

#66 E Johnson

E Johnson

• PipPipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 22 July 2011 - 08:31 AM

I'd do the NYCB one. a six year old can enjoy it and especially if you go to a matinee, the audience will be full of kids and the behavioral expectations slightly relaxed as a result. My kids have sat through it happily starting at four or a bit younger. many child performers throughout, which I find holds the attention of children in the audience.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):