This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Wish List of Good Ideas for Good Ballets

I have thought that The Fountainhead by Ayn Rand held some very interesting possibilities for a ballet. There are several colorful characters and various distinct relationships that would play out beautifully as pas de deux and duets. As to who to choreograph, or casting, I have no idea. The book is very long, so the story would need to be edited carefully, and simplified somewhat.

I saw a production at the "Met" some time ago of Poulenc's opera, "Dialogue of the Carmelites". I was sitting way up in the family circle and I was completely entranced with the staging of the work. I wish I could remember who staged it. (I hope some of our opera buffs can answer this) It was spare and lean and the performers moved beautifully through all the space that was enveloping them. I thought at the time, if an opera director can do this, why not the real thing and have a ballet?

I remember reading about that one, and seeing photos, ATM -- but I don't remember the director/stager either. I remember the spareness -- which I thought was beautiful, beautifully visually, but also matching the theme and the music. To me, that's what good design and staging does -- brings out THE WORK, not smother it with notions and distractions.

There have been instances of ballet companies bringing in people from outside -- drama, opera -- especially in Europe, but the productions haven't been a success, and it's because they don't understand choreography. You can't change the blocking -- the dancers have to move in that space in that way. And perhaps ballet choreographers don't do productions like this because so few people see art outside their own field. ???