This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

European Prodigal Son

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:29 PM

I wonder if someone has seen the ballet "The Prodigal Son" - music
by Hugo Alfven and choreography by Ivo Cramer?
Folkloristic stuff, except for the ballerina role "The Queen of Rich Araby" which is danced on pointes.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:32 PM

I haven't seen it, but do have a news bulletin for you :) The Royal Swedish Ballet will revive Cramer's "Prodigal Son" this year. Check their web site -- it's an interesting season. Quirky, but interesting. Their Swan Lake is billed as "a classical ballet, traditionally staged." I don't know if that's a warning or an enticement. And they have a program from the '50s (the Cramer is on that) and some interesting mixed bills. Not the usual fare.

#3 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 04:01 PM

Encouraging about "Prodigal Son".
Otherwise, I do not know... You know my feelings about updating classics - Hamlet in sneakers - Giselle in luny bin - etc. etc. etc.
However, I think I will speak to Mr. Cramer first, and then report.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,271 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 04:13 PM

Yes, I remember your posts on updating classics, Pamela -- and it seems as though this Swan Lake has NOT been updated.

We'll await your report on Mr. Cramer with interest.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 04:23 PM

I haven't seen the ballet, but I've heard excerpts from the score, and remember photographs of the original production. It looked to me a bit like the production concept was based on a cross of children's pantomime and a stylized medieval mystery play. From what little I know, I'm intrigued by it.:)

#6 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 579 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:00 PM

Mel, continue to be intrigued for a few days more. I am working flat out now ( end of term. finish of courses - I feel rather dead - in addition I am selling Christmas trees from my plantation). Now, there is work about 20 hours a day.
Otherwise, applauds from the wilds of Sweden about your care of original titles etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases (adblockers may block display):