This site uses cookies. By using this site, you agree to accept cookies, unless you've opted out. (US government web page with instructions to opt out: http://www.usa.gov/optout-instructions.shtml)

European Prodigal Son

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:29 PM

I wonder if someone has seen the ballet "The Prodigal Son" - music
by Hugo Alfven and choreography by Ivo Cramer?
Folkloristic stuff, except for the ballerina role "The Queen of Rich Araby" which is danced on pointes.

#2 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 03:32 PM

I haven't seen it, but do have a news bulletin for you :) The Royal Swedish Ballet will revive Cramer's "Prodigal Son" this year. Check their web site -- it's an interesting season. Quirky, but interesting. Their Swan Lake is billed as "a classical ballet, traditionally staged." I don't know if that's a warning or an enticement. And they have a program from the '50s (the Cramer is on that) and some interesting mixed bills. Not the usual fare.

#3 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 04:01 PM

Encouraging about "Prodigal Son".
Otherwise, I do not know... You know my feelings about updating classics - Hamlet in sneakers - Giselle in luny bin - etc. etc. etc.
However, I think I will speak to Mr. Cramer first, and then report.

#4 Alexandra

Alexandra

Board Founder

• Administrators
  • 9,287 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 04:13 PM

Yes, I remember your posts on updating classics, Pamela -- and it seems as though this Swan Lake has NOT been updated.

We'll await your report on Mr. Cramer with interest.

#5 Mel Johnson

Mel Johnson

Diamonds Circle

• Moderators
  • 5,311 posts

Posted 02 December 2002 - 04:23 PM

I haven't seen the ballet, but I've heard excerpts from the score, and remember photographs of the original production. It looked to me a bit like the production concept was based on a cross of children's pantomime and a stylized medieval mystery play. From what little I know, I'm intrigued by it.:)

#6 Pamela Moberg

Pamela Moberg

Silver Circle

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 583 posts

Posted 03 December 2002 - 05:00 PM

Mel, continue to be intrigued for a few days more. I am working flat out now ( end of term. finish of courses - I feel rather dead - in addition I am selling Christmas trees from my plantation). Now, there is work about 20 hours a day.
Otherwise, applauds from the wilds of Sweden about your care of original titles etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Help support Ballet Alert! and Ballet Talk for Dancers year round by using this search box for your amazon.com purchases. (If it doesn't appear below, your computer's or browser's adblockers may have blocked display):