This Site Uses Cookies. If You Want to Disable Cookies, Please See Your Browser Documentation. ×

Aurora's 16/18th birthday

Guest bllamum

Guest bllamum

What is the tutu color and headpiece for Aurora in this variation in Act 1? Also, the decoration on the tutu?

Is it roses? I can't make it out on either video. Thank you for your help.:confused:

Guest bllamum

The ballet we are watching is the Kirov? We've also seen the Royal Ballet's and it struck me that the wedding is ornate in gold and white but we noticed the differences in the tutu's in the beginning. It appears cream and pink. We were wondering if there was a "traditional" tutu? Thanks for the help. We are just beginning to appreciate all the finer details!;)

It's been years since I saw a Kirov "Beauty", but I remember the first one I saw, and she had on a yellow tutu. For years, the Royal kept Aurora in pink in Act I, whether because of the famed Messel production, or just because of the roses. In the mid-70s, there was an unfortunate production of the ballet, and I think the Act I Aurora was in light green, this time to harmonize with the roses, rather than match them (Aurora as preppie!). Along with a lot of things about that production, it was not a good idea. I'd say there really is no traditional costume by act for Aurora, except maybe the white-with-metallics in Act III. And by the way, according to the original libretto, it's her 20th birthday.

Guest bllamum

Thank you all! My daughter and her friends are getting acquainted with traditional costuming in the ballets. It is an interesting subject as I am finding out more and more with them. I look forward to hearing more opinions.;)

Am I allowed to give a reply? I'm not sure because I'm new:confused: . In the Australian production Aurora's costume in Act One is pink (for her 16th birthday?)with a head piece of gold with pearl spikes and pale pink flowers. The other tutu is white or cream with gold because that is her wedding tutu. I can check out my video of the Aus. production and give you more details if you like.

Well, stranger things have happened to librettos than an age change for Aurora. :mad: I can recall a famous ballerina who, up to a certain point, kept being born later and later and later in the twentieth century in her published biographies and encyclopædia articles. Then, suddenly, her birthday started creeping earlier and earlier and earlier as she grew proud of her longevity!;)

i am most used to thinking of/seeing Aurora as being in pale pink - as juliet says, and for the same reason: the dawn and the roses.

monte: you are quite correct that different productions make Aurora's age different - i have noticed 15 years, 16 years, and 20.